Chapter Twenty-Six

He ran his whole side into the door, which looks like it must’ve hurt. The door caved in response and he entered the room and I went in right behind him, looking around frantically.

“Sage?” I said loudly. “Where are you?”

My call was met with another muffled scream from a room down the hall. When we sprinted over and through the door the sight that I saw made me freeze momentarily before completely jumping into action. Sage was tied down to the bed while James was attempting to take off her clothes. He’s trying to rape her, and if we hadn’t decided to go to Zeke’s at the precise time we did he probably would have succeeded.

Tobias ran forward and pushed him off of her. They started wrestling on the floor, but I didn’t go over to help since I know it would be effortless for Tobias to get the upper hand. Instead I hopped onto the bed and started untying the tethers around Sage’s wrist, trying to calm her down. She stopped thrashing once her eyes focused on me, and when her hands were free she removed the cloth from her mouth, breathing heavily. I looked off to the side to see that Tobias had James in a firm hold.

“Four, can you handle him? I’m going to get her out of here,” I asked, knowing that he would know exactly what to do with James.

“I’ve got it,”

Sage’s shirt was the only thing he managed to take off, and it was in shreds on the floor, leaving her in only her bra. I glanced at Tobias who was holding James’ hands in only one of his. James appeared to be no longer fighting, since Tobias gave him a pretty heavy beating in his face. He seemed to know just what I was thinking and he removed his shirt and tossed it to me. I ushered Sage out, handing her Tobias’s shirt. She accepted it without a word.

“Are you okay?” I asked once we left.

I walked her quickly down the hall so that she wouldn’t have to see James again. That will probably be the last time either of us will ever see him again, thankfully.

She sniffed. Surprisingly she isn’t crying. She just seems shocked. “I-I’m fine. Thank you so much T… If you hadn’t shown up…”

I stopped walking, turning to face her. “Tris. Call me Tris.”

She smiled and then finally started crying quietly, giving me a hug. “Sorry, I know I don’t seem very Dauntless right now… He just caught me so off guard. One moment I was walking down the hall, and the next…”

“Screw acting Dauntless,” I muttered. “I would be crying as well. Four will have it taken care of, you won’t ever have to see that bastard again, I promise.”

“What is he going to do?”

“Rape is obviously not taken lightly. Even if it didn’t get that far, it probably would’ve if we didn’t stop him. Four will have him kicked out of here. He’ll probably head to Candor for a trial and then be jailed for a long, long time.”

She smiled, wiping her eyes. “That makes me feel better,”

“Sage?” Jonah called from behind me.

We turned around to see him standing there, his eyes wide. She started crying again and ran right to him. He hugged her tightly, looking confused.

“What’s wrong? Whose shirt is this?”

I crossed my arms, not sure what to say.

“James…” She mumbled. “He…”

“James attempted to rape her,” I said.

“WHAT? Where the hell is he, I’m going to kill him!”

“Wait wait wait,” I said quickly, before he could run off. “He’s being taken care of right now.”