Chapter Thirty-Seven

*Tris’s Point of View*

I ran through the halls as best as I could, cringing every step. I woke up in the hospital early this morning to find out that I had been right near an explosion. Apparently the chances of someone being that close to a bomb actually surviving were nearly impossible, yet here I am. I just know that it means that it’s not my time yet, and that I needed to live. I still have something I need to do, and not just for me, but for everyone.

I learned quickly this morning that Tobias shut off the security in the bureau for Nita’s group, and that from there they had set off an explosion to try and take the death serum. If I have learned anything in my life, it’s that you cannot fix evil with evil, and that as much as they wanted to change things, what they did was the worst possible way. I don’t know how to feel about Tobias being in on the whole thing, but I can’t dwell on that right now.

I had ditched the hospital, even after their orders to stay, so that I could find Matthew. I only had stitches in my head, and a broken rib and arm. Not as bad compared to what it could be. I have to go to Chicago to talk to them. They need to understand, but bigger than that, everyone needs to understand what I’m going to say. And not just everyone meaning the city and the bureau, but everyone.

I finally spotted him in the same hall that I had last spoken to Tobias in. “Matthew!” He turned around. “Matthew, I need your help. You’ve got to help me.”

“Tris? You were hurt!”

“I know,” I said, looking down at my arm in a sling. “That’s not important right now. To sum things up, I’ve been meeting with David for a while right now, and he wanted to erase the entire cities memories, just for the sake of the experiment! I managed to convince him to let me try and talk to them, since they want to bomb the bureau. He ordered a large group of armed men to guard me, and I’m going soon.” I said quickly.

I watched as his eyes widened. “What? When? What does this have to do with me?”

“What I’m going to say in Chicago, it could change everything, but it can’t if only Chicago hears it.” He didn’t look like he was catching on. “I need you to hack into the cameras of Chicago and broadcast what I say to them onto every single screen in America.”

“Holy shit…”

I grabbed his arm, desperate. “Can you do that?”

“What if you get shot?” He said nervously.

“Matthew, please. Can you do that?”

His eyebrows furrowed. “I can sure as hell try my best.”

“Thank you! Try everything, ask anyone you know, it’s really imperative that you do, okay?”

“Okay,”

I started to walk away quickly. I need to tell David that I am ready to leave.

“Tris?”

“Yeah?”

“Be safe,”

I smiled and turned the corner. I walked right into David’s office, knowing that he would probably be there and not out aiding the bureau. I felt like cringing, and not because of the pain of my broken bones, but from being in his presence. He always gives me this odd feeling.

“Tris,” He said, looking up at me.

“David. I’m ready to leave.”

He looked me up and down. “You look terrible.”

“I feel fine. I want to go.”

He narrowed his eyes. “Why are you in such a rush?”

“I don’t want the bureau being bombed again,” I lied easily. “And I don’t want their minds erased if I can prevent it.”

He nodded. “It’s dangerous, but if you think it will save the experiment I can’t deny you that. I’ll order the troops to meet you outside.”

“Thank you,”

“Don’t let me down,”

Not sure if I can promise anything… I was quickly loaded onto a truck packed with armed soldiers, and we hastily made our way to the city. There were many trucks, because the only way we can get the citizens of Chicago to stop in time to listen to me is if we have the same numbers as they do. I pray that it will work, because I didn’t get to say goodbye to Tobias. Even though I should be angered that he helped set off that useless bomb that almost killed me, I still don’t want to think that my last memory of him might have to be a sour one. I wonder what he is going through right now. I hope to god they don’t kill him for what he did; I know he never means to hurt anyone.

After a while of driving we were right outside the city walls, and I prepared myself for madness. What I saw on the security cameras previously wasn’t very organized… I didn’t put on a bullet proof vest or even take a gun. If I want them to listen, I can’t look threatening, and if it is my fate to die today, then I cannot change that. I just hope that I am able to say what I need to, and that Matthew is able to do what I asked of him,

We entered the city, and I glanced at all of the trucks behind us as we drove towards the center of the madness which used to be my home. We are going to the factionless, because that is where Evelyn has been controlling everything, and that’s where most of the people and riots seemed to be.

When we were only a few blocks away I started to hear yelling. They are gathering, they must know we came! Now hopefully they won’t shoot at us... We all hopped off the truck and walked the last block, straight towards the mass of people, the majority of them with guns pointed towards us. I was surrounded by guards, but I could still see the confused civilians and the angered men who must be with Evelyn. Everyone started yelling at once, and suddenly I heard shots begin to fire, from what side I could not tell.

When I see a man next to me collapse I start screaming. “STOP. EVERYONE. JUST STOP SHOOTING!”