4. Arabella

Song: Dusk till Dawn by Zayn ft. sia ---violin cover---

The following weeks passed in a blur of work shifts, hot showers, abnormal sleeping hours and patterns and food on the go.

'I feel like a zombie or a new mom, but without the baby.' Kris complained as they changed into their scrubs in the locker room provided for first years.

It was their third week, and they'd found that their shifts had been shaken up the previous week so that they couldn't always ride in to work together, but, living in the same building as they were, they were usually aware of each others working hours and paired up to come and go whenever they could.

'Will says we'll fall into a rhythm,' Rya responded, putting up air quotes on the last word.

'Will huh? well, you tell your hunky attending that I'm still waiting for the music.'

'Right,' Rya nodded, 'me too,' she shrugged, 'maybe it takes years, you know, he's been working forever. He's survived internship, residency, the army, so maybe he's onto something, maybe it'll just take some getting used to.'

Kris slammed her locker door shut, 'how's that going by the way,' she asked as she sat on a padded bench in the middle of the room to lace her shoes, 'how's it feel dating your boss? is there any romance? is there any time for romance, or do you just shag him and hope for career favors along the way?'

'Bitch!' Rya exclaimed in mock indignation as they exited the room, 'actually there is romance.' she replied with a smirk.

'Is there?' Kris said smiling too.

'Yeah, he brings me food at odd hours of the day, gives me great tips for settling in at work,' she spread her hands indicating the work place they were in.

'Tips like finding your rhythm?' It was Kris's turn to put up air quotes as they walked toward the section of the hospital where the laboratories were.

'Absolutely,' Rya nodded with a serious expression, 'and you know what the best part is?' she asked as she shouldered open a door labelled pathology in which she would be working that morning.

Kris rolled her eyes, 'Pray, tell.'

'I get to take the edge off all of this,' she gestured around them, 'by having fucking awesome sex with a hot as hell surgeon, anytime I want.' She grinned, walking into the room and leaving the door to swing shut in Kris's equally amused face.

***

Rya hadn't been kidding about the romance, she was pretty sure the last three weeks would've been more unbearable without her time with Will to look forward to.

They talked about everything from work and medicine to movies and sports. She found out that he was a huge fan of the game of basketball and she'd revealed to him her guilty pleasures which were movies and music.

She asked him questions about her lab work and listened rapturously as he relegated her with stories about his surgeries.

She'd decided to stop worrying about running into Derek again, he hadn't seemed as though he'd recognized her anyway and it just seemed pointless to spend what little time she had to herself worrying about things that were very unlikely to happen.

However, she'd done a little digging online where she'd read stories about him and his successes. Apparently, La Cura was one of the several enterprises under his group Black Corp; and she'd remembered the black contact card he'd given her years ago, which she'd slipped between the pages of the journal she'd written up after her summer with him.