23. Reunion

Song: Love on the Brain; Sax cover by Graziatto.

Rya's gaze was focused past the dark tinted window of the black sedan she and Derek were in, and on the large sleek airplane parked on the tarmac as their vehicle pulled up on the airstrip and parked beside the imposing jet.

She offered Paul a small smile as he immediately got out to pull open her door for her, 'thanks Paul,' she said, 'but you don't have to keep getting the door for me.'

'I'm happy to do it Miss,' he responded warmly.

She flashed him an exasperated look, 'at least call me Rya,' she said, 'I feel a little awkward answering to Miss.'

A small smile graced his lips as he gave her a stiff nod, 'if you insist miss...Rya,' he finished a little awkwardly and cleared his throat in what she interpreted as a nervous gesture.

Considering his usually casual and staid attitude, it was definitely the most uncomfortable she'd seen him. She grinned at him and opened her mouth to tease him about her observation when her attention was drawn to the vehicle which pulled up beside them.

Derek came around their vehicle to join her where she stood as the vehicle parked beside theirs.

The vehicles windows wore a dark tint, same as theirs, but she was well aware of who the occupants were.

Her grin widened as Gio exited the vehicle first and then held his hand out to help his wife out after him.

His smile was as wide as hers as he buttoned his suit jacket and walked over to her, totally ignoring Derek as he held his hands out to envelope her in a warm hug, "Bellisima!"

She hugged him back tightly as she felt tiny pin pricks of tears water her eyes, it was only now, completely enveloped in his embrace, that she realized how much she'd missed him.

'It's been far too long,' he said softly, and she nodded as the deep warm timbre of his accented voice washed over her.

'I've missed you too,' she said softly, her chest tightening with the weight of the feelings within her. She hadn't expected to feel the overwhelming emotions she was feeling now at being reunited with Gio, it felt right being back together with the three of them...it felt like she was with family.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Derek give Elsa a hug and then pull away to plant a kiss on each of her cheeks. He murmured something to her and she smiled and nodded as he placed his hand on her abdomen where she was still barely showing.

Rya wiped at the corners of her eyes, as she and Gio pulled apart, and reached out to Elsa whose smile widened as they too embraced.

'You don't know how happy I am that you're here,' Elsa said as she pulled away so she could meet Rya's eyes.

Her gaze held a world of questions and Rya's smile turned coy as she nodded and murmured, 'we have a lot to discuss.'

'I'll bet we do,' Elsa responded with a grin and turned to the men who had courteously stepped back to allow them room.

Derek's hand came around Rya to rest on her hip as they headed toward the idling plane and his thumb caressed  back and forth over the crepe fabric of her cream colored jumpsuit in a gesture she'd come to recognize as his instinctive way of soothing or calming her.

They boarded the private plane, which was apparently Gio's and she and Elsa excused themselves to step into one of the two luxurious bathrooms aboard the aircraft, while Derek and Gio conversed with the pilots.

They took their seats as the pre-takeoff announcements began, the four of them opting to settle together into the comfortable tan leather seats in a particularly spacious area that held a collapsible work/dining table.