57. Ties that Bind

Song: When I found you by Jasmine Rae

The rolling hills of the picturesque countryside of Val d'Orcia framed the grounds of the three-story villa that was Derek's maternal home. It was a spectacular view from where Rya stood at the third floor window of her dressing room, watching as their guests, hers and Derek's, most of whom who had flown into the country specifically to attend the ceremony, milled about the ornately decorated gardens, chatting and laughing as they located and took their designated seats.

It was all serenely beautiful. From the opulent greenery of the vast countryside surrounding the property, to the beautifully landscaped garden within, complete with fountains, decorative stone structures and ornamental bassins, and their lavishly dressed guests, most of whom she knew and recognized.

She wanted to capture it all.

Except her phone had to be with either Kris, or Elsa, or Julissa, or her Mom. None of whom were currently in the room with her.

Not that she minded. She was glad for any brief moment of tranquility she could find, quiet moments which had been few and far between over the last several weeks in the rush to finalize the preparations for their big day.

Even now, although the room was peaceful, she wasn't alone. Her team of beauty specialists remained on standby and in the room with her even after her hair and makeup had been taken care of.

"Francois?" She called, looking back at the only male who was present and quietly shooting photo and video footage of her bridal ensemble and the elaborate dressing space as a whole, as he waited for the moment in which he would follow her as she descended the steps to her father who would be waiting for her in the foyer. "Could I get a photograph of this scene?" She asked waving a hand over the entire window-frame.

Francois was one of several photographers that were a part of a team, all of whom had been flown in for the ceremony, and had stationed themselves at various vantage positions across the Villa.

"Of course," he said moving over to the window with his camera as Rya stepped aside for him to take the spot she'd been standing in.

"It's beginning." Kris's excited voice rang out as she rushed back into the room. "Everyone's taking their places."

From Rya's now limited view of the window, from her position behind Francois, she could see the guests who were standing and chatting being asked to take their seats as the slow orchestral music that had been playing softly in the background changed and increased in volume.

Kris, who was dressed in an off the shoulder champagne colored soft tulle dress, sported a harried expression as she paced back and forth in front of Rya, her eyes glued to her phone as she tapped furiously on the animated screen.

The dress with its fitted bodice and puffy ruffled skirt that flowed to the ground in layers, complemented her dark brown hair which had been curled and left to fall past her shoulders in waves.

With her arms folded across her chest, Rya studied her friend. She had opted out of having a full bridal party which included bridesmaids, preferring to have only one bridal attendant, her maid of honor, Kris. And as a result of that decision, she had hired a wedding planner and been careful not to place too much of a burden on her friend as far as the wedding preparations went. Still, by virtue of her position, Kris had remained one of the first points of contact for matters relating to the ceremony.

"Who are you texting?" Rya asked as she peered into Kris' phone where there appeared to be some sort of group chat going on. "You all should really let me help with any last minute arrangements..."

"What?" Kris looked up from her phone with a frown, "hell, no."

"Alright." Rya held up her hands, "I'm just trying to help, you're looking a little stressed right now."