(34) I'm Sorry

🐾

"BE CAREFUL," THE CHAIRMAN tells me before giving me a quick hug. It felt a little awkward since I've idolized this man since I was a kid, but now I'm just hugging him like this. Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I literally had a mental breakdown in front of him so there's nothing to hide now.

     "I'll take care of the files and contact the authorities as soon as everything's ready. You can also borrow my car. I already asked someone to give you the keys downstairs," he then adds.

     "Thank you...Herbert."

     An hour has passed, which means I only have two hours left until the association starts raiding this building. So without wasting any more time, I bid the chairman a sweet farewell and finally left his office.

     As I waited inside the elevator, I couldn't help but touch my chest while my other hand clenched on the strap of the suitcase. It's been beating extremely hard since I got that call. I don't know why, but something inside me feels anxious.

     What's strange is that I'm not anxious to face the big dogs. What I'm anxious about is how I'm going to be facing Damien. The way he spoke to me on the phone felt off. I felt like he was worried about something, but he could no longer run away from it.

     "Mr. McCartney," someone calls out as soon as I walked out of the elevator. A man wearing a suit approaches me. It was the chairman's secretary. I can't believe he's still here even though it's already this late. How loyal is he to the chairman?

     "Here are the chairman's car keys. It's already parked outside," He says as the two of us walked out of the building.

     I took the keys from him and thanked him for them. When I got out, a car was waiting for me there. The secretary opened the door for me, so I got in and thanked him again. Before he could even close the door, he suddenly leans towards me and says, "Master Hael...was a great man."

     My eyes widened from shock when I heard what he said.

     "Y-You...knew my uncle too?"

     "I was only an intern when he was still working here," he tells me. "But we'll talk about it some other time. Please drive safely Mr. McCartney."

     "Thank you," I say as I smiled at him, turning the engine on and finally driving away.

     I pulled out my phone and checked the address that was sent to me. Herbert told me that the address seemed to be like the Companion's main headquarters.

     I'm heading to the headquarters where 90 percent of people want to kill me. I don't have any weapons on me, and I could barely throw a proper punch. I'm still pretty much a regular company worker despite everything that happened to me so far. I won't just magically start kicking ass.

     To be fair, when Todd and I broke up, I was hoping to find that exciting life that I somehow abandoned because of my ambition.

     Todd was the only exciting thing about my life. He was my little spice, and to be honest, it still surprises me how I managed to even get with him. He was this super popular cliché jock who could get any girl he wanted, but he ended up falling in love with my gay ass. I guess that's karma for his homophobic parents, who knows?

     Anyway, comparing my life from then to now is just the funniest thing that happened to me. But in the end, I'm still thankful for the years I had with Todd. Maybe when things are a lot better now, we can go grab a coffee together in a much more civil manner.

     Just thinking about it made me smile.

     But as I continued driving this long road, I suddenly spot the band-aid on my finger, and I was instantly reminded of Damien.