Chapter 6|new beginnings

"What is meant to will always find its way"

Song is the day: breathless by shawn wardh

This chapter is dedicated to Breakchoas
                     • • • •
We finished our lunch, just in time for our next class, Music. We were a few minutes into the class, miss eve, our music teacher, had stopped teaching, not literary, she had just taken a detour, and rather than pass knowledge as expected, she was full blown ranting about her love for a particular style of music her best artiste and even their latest song.

She does this all the time, the first half is for real teaching and the other half is for her personal rant.

||

It isn't every time, we hear the metallic sound of our school bell interrupting a class. It usual signaled the start of classes, the beginning and end of break period and the end of classes for the day.

I love the sound of closing bell.

The reason for this abnormality, was not far fetched, emergency assembly.

"Assembly!'' the loud voice of the school's time keeper confirmed, and rang the bell again.

It doesn't take much and there is grumbling and murmurs, of why we should have another assembly and why there was two assembly in a day.

Kelechi, our class representative, is first to stand and move to the door, his voice is firm. "Everybody, please file out!"

||||

Teachers are scattered round the Assembly some in between lines created by arranged students, some on the pavement surrounding the Assembly ground, some in front of the school, some were trying to punish students that did not come to the Assembly, early enough.

Teachers and punishment sha!

It takes, a while before we see the gangly form of our principal approaching the assembly ground. The entire population of Star academy, is out, in this blazing march sun, and we are facing the national flag, that stands high, on a ten feet platform.

Our principal's voice, is tiny, like a whisper, but in the silence that ensues amongst everyone on the assembly ground, hearing him, is not so hard. "Good afternoon, my excellent students".

''Good afternoon, Sir'' is the reply, we chorus.

There is another heated silence, no reference to the sun, that will eventually kill us or me in particular, if the silence doesn't.

"We are approaching, with great speed, our terminal exams, and its disheartening the number of students who are yet to pay their school fees".

"This is both, a warning and an advice, pay your fees!" he chanted, "or you won't be allowed to sit for any exams, and as from next week, you will not allowed into the school premises if you haven't paid your fees".

That was all, all he had to say, with a brief nod he briskly left the assembly, and the teachers gave instructions to return back to our classes.

This was a stupid move, I thought bitterly, he could have disseminated the information through, our form masters or class representative, but he chose, to bring all of us out here, to roast.

I tapped Jessie, just as our line started to move, I told her I was going to the rest room. When I was through, I walked past a now empty assembly ground. I was about ascending the stairs, when I heard my name. I stopped.

"Aramide".

"Asiwaju" I stated.

"Jeez, I didn't know you walked so fast and absentmindedly" He stopped in my front, as in, his face almost collided with mine.

"You were calling me?" I could swear, I didn't hear anybody call my name until now.

"Yes" He reaffirmed, "I was going to ask, if you would be coming for the inter house football match, tomorrow?"

I had zero interest in football. I had no knowledge on it. Just that two groups, consisting of eleven players, chased a ball for ninety minutes. That's if my physical education teacher in junior secondary, was saying the truth.

"I.. " I chuckled, I didn't want to inform him, about my knowledge or lack thereof on football, and here again, ASIWAJU WAS ASKING.

"Yes, I hope I  enjoy it".

He beamed, his dimples popping out, and when his cold hands sort out mine, as we ascend the stairs. I didn't, let go, of it.

Sidelines

Hello 👋👋👋👋👋

How's the story so far?

Please, don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Thank you!!!