chapter 28|Grace

••••
Song: Purpose by Justin bieber

Dedicated to: a_mystery-writer

Quote: "Be remembered for rising after you were broken".
••••

The midday sun was setting, its was gradually disappearing into flurry yellowish orange clouds. The environment reflected this gradual process. My grip on Jason's hand tighten, and I placed to knocks on the door.

The door swung open, revealing grace, Luke's mother who had a nasty frown on her face. It dropped on sighting on us, and she ushered us in.

Their house wasn't different from ours, it was after all, located in an estate. Their living room was just as wide as ours, with an entrance arc for the dinner, though the dinning room was concealed with yellow floral curtain.

They had twin sofas and love cushions, which Jason and I sat on, and they were had the same shade of green. The living room wasn't unclean per se. Textbooks, some of which I recognized as Luke's (since he and Jason were in the same grade) and children toys littered the room.

"What should I offer you now?" She asked and was cleaning her wet hands on an apron wrapped round her waist.

"Nothing, you look troubled?" I was genuinely concerned.

She wiped her face, and sat down muttering something about Luke and the toys. "Its nothing, I was cooking and left to check something in the bedroom I thought my phone was ringing and when I returned to the kitchen, I saw that Sharon had climbed the slab and turned on the tap, water was wasting".

Sharon was Luke's younger sister. Very mischievous. "Oh, am so sorry about that, where is Luke?"

"He's sleeping".

"I came to thank for you support and help towards me and Jason, I really appreciate".

"Oh" she smiled and waved it as nothing. "What are neighbors for?".

We talked some more, she was still fuzzing about Jason's injury asking if I took necessary measures against the school and my health. I answered them all, Grace was like this, always fuzzing about you here and there. I thanked her once more, sent my regards to her husband and children and left with Jason.

||||

When we arrived home, I boiled noodles and we ate in silence then my mother called.

"Mummy" I greeted.

She called to check up on me, she has been doing this steadily for weeks since I informed her about Jason's injury and subsequent blood donation. She wanted to know if I was still praying to God, advised me to not give up. She wanted to know if I was eating and resting well. Then she asked after Jason. I handed the phone to Jason.

"Hello grandma" He squeaked with delight, his tiny hands struggling to hold the phone steady against his ears.

"Yes ma, I am fine".

He scrunched his face, "The drugs nurse Rita gave to me is bitter and mummy is forcing me to take them".

"I still don't want to take them" He whined "Yes, I see him everyday, he is teaching me how to play basketball".

"Yes, I won't play rough again".

Then he squealed loudly, I turned to him puzzled. He was grinning. "You are coming? What about grandpa, him too?" He squealed some more.

Then he was smiling and nodding, I wanted to tell him that grandma won't see him nodding, it was better if he replaced all the nodding with yes. But I was fighting a smile of my own. The call ended shortly after he handed the phone and she made a short prayer, even for asiwaju. Asiwaju was just a friendly neighborhood guy who donated blood to Jason, and who Jason referred to as uncle Asiwaju.

The door bell rang, and Jason rushed to check it with me trudging behind. It was Asiwaju, I frowned.

Asiwaju was becoming so many things, these days. One of them would be, a pest, another that fits him perfectly, will be the constant smell that hits the nose, whenever an unclean recycle bin is opened. I was grateful that he didn't keep up this act in the office, but I was getting lines on my forehead, just from frowning at him every passing moment.

"What are you doing here?" I ordered Jason back inside the house. He just wouldn't stop coming. I needed to do something about it.

"I-I.... I wanted to.. "

"Leave my house!" Venom laced my words, I stood akimbo daring him to do otherwise.

Then Jason rushed to me, with my phone in his hands, I secured it in my hands and unlocked it. An unknown number and a message.

"When the music changes, the dance changes. Its a pity, he survived".

I could not feel my leg and my head felt light, i dropped to the floor managing to scrape my back against a wall. Expectedly, I lost my grip on the phone and it fell from my hands, Asiwaju caught it.

Was I thinking wrong? Was Jason's injury planned?

"Mummy?" Jason's loud scream filled my ears and I closed my eyes. I opened them shortly, revealing Jason crouched near me, whose eyes had grown wide and was scrutinizing me.

I pulled Jason close, and wrapped my arms round him. His cry that I was crushing his bones were unattended to. He is mine, and he is alive. He is mine and is alive. He is mine and is alive.

I released some of my grip on him, but he struggled out of my embrace with a frown, and accused me of crushing his bones.

"Are you alright, mummy?" He drew closer again, his face donned in panic.

I was unable to give a reply, because I heard the sound of a closed door. Asiwaju was standing inside my house, with my phone in his left hand, spotting a chaotic collision of long eyebrows.

Sidelines
Hello my awesome readers,

Don't forget to vote 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I think we have come another half of this story, and I cannot thank you enough for your endless support.
I appreciate.

Aramide has come to this stage where she has to deal with her past and move on. But what if that past comes in form of a person with eyes the color of honey.

Asiwaju, yes she really has to choose between her son's bond with him and their ugly past.

I want us all to come to the same page with aramide on this issue.
Getting your heart broken, is not the friendliest feeling in the world.

But on a lighter note, Jason is out of the hospital!!!

Thank you for patience and dedication to my book.
Lets help aramide get through this.

Aramide: Who can help me with an answer to riddle, I saw in the message?

I love song recommendations!

Thank you!!!