Chapter 33|Inexcusable

••••
Song: Little things by One direction.

Quote: Focus on been productive instead of been busy.
••••

T

hree days.

I slammed the door of my car, and locked the car with a push on a button. I dashed into the company cursing loudly, I even managed to unbalance someone as I was running inside. I didn't bother to greet anyone, and I knew I was causing quite a scene, as the clicks of my red kitten heels hit the floor.

There were times, when i'd meet some staff who weren't walking fast and were actively slowing me down, i'd brush past them, without an apology or a glance.

I muttered another string of words, and stopped at the entrance to the conference room. I knew I should have allowed Asiwaju to drop Jason off at school, but obstinately refused, demanding that he leaves the house with immediate effect, reminding him that today wasn't Saturday or Sunday.

Now I was inexcusably late. I took some deep breaths, and quickly arranged my dress, tightening the grip on my hand bag, I pushed the door open and stepped in.

The cool air, from the air conditioners in the room hit my face, and I was grateful for the calming effect that it had on me.
I walked closer to the round table. And I felt the cooling effect from the air conditioner dissipate, as more than one persons, fixed heated gaze at me.

My journey was halted by Mr Phil's voice that boomed through the walls of the conference room, in my state, it was a hundred times amplified.

"Miss Williams" Regret and fury gleamed through his small eyes. "How nice of you, to join us".

I winced, recalling how he berated me on my late coming last time, he even asked after Jason, asking if it was becoming too much for me. I responded that it wasn't. I remembered his stern look and soft voice as he encouraged me to take care of myself.

I gulped, my gaze landing on the wide clock in the conference room, it indicated that I was an hour late.

Why did I even bother, with coming to the office? I should have feigned illness.

Then I scanned the entirety of the conference room, Asiwaju was looking at me with pursed lips and a concerned expression. Williams and Pamela, were spotting the same expression, A glare, which I knew, did not run deep.

Mr Jide and Mallam Yusuf, offered nonchalant looks, but I didn't miss the upward curve of mallam Yusuf's lip. There were other board members but I did not bother with them, my gaze travelled back to Mr Phil.

"Your rate of coming late these few months, is rather alarming and calls for concern".

"Mr Phil" Mallam Yusuf called, venom seeping from his words, "If she is tired of her job she is free to quit, I think her tardiness calls for disciplinary actions".

The board murmured in approval, repeating his words. I clutched my bag the more, my nails digging into the soft flesh of my palm.

The judgment was instant. Mind wasn't on it specifically, but my expectations revolved round it. I can't call it a surprise, the people that voted in support of the judgment or the judgment itself.

My tardiness, was inviting it afterall. If you put your hand in fire, you should expect the burn.

||||