chapter 22| Baby steps

•••
Song: Broken glass by Sia

Quote: There are many flowers on the path of life, but the pettiest have the sharpest thorn.
••••

It did not match. It did not match.

I shook my head, eying the syringe with my blood in it, and the result in her hands.

"No, nurse" I concluded, and stood up from the chair. She drained the blood down a small sink, in the hand washer near the bed. She dried her hands on a hanging towel. She turned to me, and sighed.

"Did you hear me, Nurse Rita" I thrust my arm "Maybe you did test me well, am his mother, the blood got missed up, surely it got missed up".

"The doctor said, he needs more blood and so you should test mine, to see if it is compatible, he said that it is dangerous for Jason  not to get enough blood supply and so you should take mine, take it".

She placed her hands on my shoulders, and gently pushed me into a sitting position. She smiled at my reluctance to sit down.

"I know what doctor Stephen instructed me to do, and I know that Jason need enough blood supply, you offered yours, and its not a surprise that I didn't match".

"Maybe I could talk Miss ann into offering her blood, maybe what do you think, will she agree or she will demand for--".

"Miss Williams relax, you don't need Miss Ann's blood, we tested her some minutes after she admitted Jason in our hospital, it did not match, but we were able to get a match in the blood bank".

That was news to me, so Miss Ann had offered a donation.

"It doesn't change anything, I know, but let's look at the bright side, his blood match can come sooner than expected".

The open before I could ask another question, Doctor Stephen was the first to come in, then Asiwaju and a panic-striken Miss Ann.

"How did it go, Rita?".

"The usual" Rita's response had no life in it.

He turned to me, "Don't worry miss Williams, we still have some hours left, Jason is in a safe range, anything can happen".

"Anything can happen" I emphasised.

"No.. No Miss Williams, anything can happen as in we can get the blood match faster than we anticipated".

"Why are you telling me not to worry?" I rose to my feet, i had some other suggestions but Rita was pushing me into the chair again.

"Can I donate?" Heads turned in the direction where the question came from. Asiwaju.

To say the proverbial apple dropped on the doctors head was an understatement, he sprang to life, adjusting the thetiscope around his neck, I could tell that he was happy to attend to another person who wasn't barraging him with tons of question. "Yes of course, Mr-"

"Asiwaju" He filled in.

"Good," He turned to me, "What's your relationship with him?"

"H-He.... He" I frowned, the words wouldn't come out.

"I am her friend".

"Also good, miss Williams, how long have you known him?".

It was a tricky question, should I answer a yes, and face possible humiliation from Asiwaju or did not recognize or stick with the duration I have known him since he became an analyst for PAIGE LTD.