chapter 27| A beggar's penny

••••
Song: into you by Ariana grande

Dedicated to: shanaetuckers307

Quote: "when people make mistakes we are very good judges, but when we make mistakes we are very efficient lawyers.
••••

This is the last chapter to the flashback.

In the months I spent with grandma, who I later became accustomed to, as maami. I thought of Asiwaju. I couldn't help it, you don't fall in love with a person and one day you completely forget about the person. Death cannot achieve that feat, not to talk of separation. The human mind was wide, and its heart deep. There were so many things, I couldn't forget in a day. There so many things i'd wake up in the morning and cry about.

I thought of him, of how he was doing. I thought of my friends, Habiba and Jessie, who I didn't offer a goodbye to. My mother made sure I got a new phone, she said she was helping me forget things, I declined her offer and suggested that I will delete Asiwaju's number.

She was adamant about and wouldn't have it another way, she instructed me to not tell anybody about my pregnancy not even my close friends. I was also not allowed to tell anyone about my departure. They'd handle my friends, if they came around and asked after me.

It was true that even if I deleted Asiwaju's number that I wouldn't be able to delete all my memories of him.

I thought of the days we'd sit in a corner and muse about our lives.
He said wanted two boys and a girl, and I rejected the idea, I wanted two kids, both boys.

He'd argue about who would be coming home early and late, I hadn't decided what I really wanted to be, and he was going to become an analyst or most likely an engineer, because he loved playing with numbers and figures. Theories and probabilities marveled him.

We reached an agreement on the structure of our house, but could not settle for the colors. He wanted brown and I wanted milk.

We laughed about who will be cooking the most, and who would mostly likely be pounding yam, one thing was certain, it wouldn't be me.

We debated on our first car, I wanted something vintage irrespective of the year we will be able to buy it. He claimed that vintage was a wrongly ascribed words and would buy the latest.

Are we going to move out this state or remain in it? I wanted to stay, he didn't.

We talked about graduating secondary school and completing our various degrees in higher institution. We would attend one institution on focus on our relationship and studies.

We talked about NYSC and the possibility of been posted to different states, he said when we arrived at that bridge we would know how to cross it.

Call it teenage dreams, or the blissful moments of relationships, or wild dreams, or anything. Anything at all, but they were the semblances of what we wanted and desired or so I thought.

Because when I was confirmed to be pregnant, this things did not add up. And those dreams and aspirations were blown away like chaff.

Maybe he rejected the pregnancy because we didn't include it in our plans. Maybe it was because, he never loved me, to begin with.

"Aramide" Maami called with a warning tone, "How many times have I warned you about crying and its effect on the baby?"

I quickly dabbed my eyes, I did not I had been crying, I flashed a smile at her.

She gave me a look and asked if I wanted to eat pineapple, I replied yes. Maami is the best.

My mind wandered to what she said, like the first time she said it, I was amazed. That my baby would always mirror my emotions. If I was feeling down, my baby will also be feeling down. If my emotions took an upward turn, my baby would be kicking in my belly.

The realization was utterly amazing.

||||

I was delivered of Jason on a rainy day, in the early hours of the morning. Maami was so happy she was singing and dancing. Giving him a hundred and thousand names. We informed my parents, they arrived in Ibadan that day.

I, even after my experience never believed in love at first sight but when the nurses wrapped him in a blue shawl and placed a sleeping Jason into my arms, I was convinced that it was love.

Taking care of Jason, was on every member of my family, even mom and dad who were miles away. But the real deal, was vested on maami and I. I would never stop loving that woman.

She started taking care of Jason fully when I started reading for qualifying exams, a two years after I was delivered of him.

She was there when I passed the exams and got admitted into university of Ibadan.

She was there with me, when I had a buck load of assignments to submit, homeworks to do with Jason and uniforms to iron.

She was there. Mom was there. Dad was there.

~
A week later when I returned from completing my NYSC and we were having a little party, the five of us (My parents arrived in Ibadan a week earlier). She told me, she was proud of me, that I had never for once disappointed her, and she hadn't been put to shame.

I told them of my intentions to move along with Jason to another state and look for job opportunities, I didn't want over dependency on my parents. They had been financing, myself and Jason for so long. I was grateful but I didn't like the idea of burdening it.

They claimed it want a burden, and agreed that Maami would return with them. Maami was unable to see me and Jason depart to another place. She died two days to our departure date.

Maami is a strong woman and will always be. She taught me, many things. She didn't malnutrition anyone of attention, care or love. Maami was able to hold and nurture her grandchild for seven years. Maami died, with a smile on her face.

Sidelines
Hey 👋

Don't forget to vote 🌟🌟🌟🌟

This is the end of the flashback.

Any words for Maami?
😖😖😖😖

Thank you!!!!