Chapter 39|Soldier

••••
Song: Soldiers by James Tw

Quote: "Maybe life isn't about avoiding bruises, maybe its about collecting scars to prove we showed up for it".
••••

Don't forget to vote 🌟🌟🌟

Our meeting with Star inc is ongoing, Williams, is making another suggestion on how to effective spread the financial burden, but I can barely hear what a representative from Star inc is saying.

My gaze lands on Evelyn who staring at David with dovey eyes. David turns to her, and I look away, I don't even care about whatever he will try to tell her.

My eyes roam the conference room and it lands on Asiwaju, who isn't looking pleased. I don't have a full answer as to why, but I recognize this look, he was wearing it, when we suggested a discount to alleviate our financial problems.

I know he is itching to make a contribution to the talk ongoing, but I doubt if I will find meaning in it, I can barely remember the topic for today's meeting.

The meeting today, was originally suppose to be in Star inc, but due to whatever Pamela stated as the reason, they shifted the venue, to PAIGE LTD.

I look around again, Mr Phil is sitting down with his elbow perched on the round table. He doesn't look too pleased and I don't bother to guess why.

I see Pamela from the corner of my eyes, she is writing and so also, is Oge. Oge is smiling.

I wish I can smile too, but I already have a headache, from a meeting, that I can barely hear anybody.

I am also tired unlike Pamela the shiny ball of energy. Today, I got another message, and even though, Asiwaju painted my forehead with kisses, I know that everything is not alright. It said:

You are a broken vessel, with a mighty hole, under it. You don't have knowledge of this, and the same goes for the people around you.

So, you empty them. You leak away their joy. You ruin good things.

I wanted to deny it, immediately. But I had nothing, nothing to defend my self with.

||||

I sat with an unenthusiastic droop in my office, occasionally glaring at the old clock, hung against the wall, when David walked in.

"What do you want?" I boomed.

"I-I... Hello" He jammed the door.

"I said, what do you want?"

"I want to apologize, the guilt hasn't left me" He declared, feet stuck to the door side.

I wanted to yell at him to shut and not apologize, but I settled for something minimal, I did not have the strength to argue. "Get out, of my office".

He paused, and when I was so sure that he was going to compile, he sobbed. "My father would have gone to jail. Aramide, I was young, I wasn't ready for such drastic change".

I was up on my feet, a reply on the tip of my tongue, when I paused. Remembering, how Asiwaju had apologized slightly in the same manner.

Who and What gave them the idea, that hurting a person was justified with a young age?

"David" I spoke, and it occurred to me that, it was so long, since I pronounced his name, with any emotion behind it. "You weren't ready and I was?"