Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            Ethan got in the front passenger seat sitting next to me. I glanced at him and he gave me a small smile. I just looked away while Grayson and Audrey got in the back.

            "Hey Taylor," Grayson said to me.

            "Hey Tay," Audrey said.

            "Hey guys," I said in a soft voice.

            I put the car in drive and drove to the hotel for Gray and Audrey. I put my car in park when we arrived and noticed they were both asleep on each other in the back. I woke them up as much as I didn't want to and told them we were here. They got out and went in then I was left with Ethan. I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my face. I was starting to feel uncomfortable, so I decided to turn the radio on even though it was a very short drive.

            "We're here," I said giving Ethan a small smile trying to break the tension somewhat.

            He smiled and got out grabbing his luggage. Ethan followed behind me as we walked up the flights of stairs to my dorm. I unlocked my door and told him to set his luggage where ever.

            "Want some water?" I asked him.      

            "Sure, thanks." He said to me. 

            I got two glasses of water and met him at the couch to sit down. I was full of emotions. I wanted to cry but I knew I had to hold it in for as long as I could.

            "Did you really think I was trying to push you away?" Ethan asked me with pain in his eyes.

            "I honestly felt like it," I said with a lump in my throat. "I thought we were getting somewhere but it seemed like suddenly every time I would go up to your room to see you or hangout you would push me out. When you would be talking on the phone, I would enter the room and you would yell at me to get out. I was hurt, I thought we were becoming something."

            "We were, we are." Ethan said. "Why didn't you come talk to me first? Instead of just leaving? Or you could've at least answered my calls. Instead you just left a note and left. Like nothing. I read the note and my heart dropped but then I realized something."

            I was trying to hold the tears back, it was starting to be impossible. Ethan pulled out the note I left.

            "When you wrote this, you said, and I quote "find someone that makes you happy. I want you to have happiness because you truly deserve it. No matter how much searching it takes to find that person go for it. Taylor, that person is you. I've never felt that lost before. I felt like I had no one, like a part of me was gone. I read that part over and over a million times and every single time your name came to my mind. Not one other girl did." Ethan said with tears streaming down his face.

            "What was so secretive then Ethan?" I asked him with tears starting to come from my eyes.

            "I was planning a vacation for us, I wanted to take you to Costa Rica for a getaway. That's where I was going to ask you to be my girlfriend. I wanted it to be special. I was trying to figure out what to do and then I remembered when we played twenty questions at the hospital. I asked you what was your dream vacation spot and you answered with Costa Rica." Ethan said while crying.

            "Oh my god E," I said. This made me feel so bad. Why didn't I just trust him?

            "I just wanted to do something amazing for you. You took care of me while my parents left. I don't know how you did it all, but you did. You did everything from making me breakfast, lunch and dinner to washing my laundry." Ethan told me.  

            "I don't know what to even say," I said sobbing.

            I looked up at Ethan who had tear-stained cheeks and puffy eyes. In his eyes I could see he was hurt by what I did. All I could do in the moment was hug him. I just gave him the biggest hug ever. We both embraced each other not wanting to let go. I felt so beyond words bad.

            "I thought I lost you," Ethan sobbed into my shoulder.