Chapter XV

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!!!! Now let's hope the bad luck will hold off and Wattpad stops being stupid so I can actually publish this chapter... (I'm not superstisious, but I don't exactly have the best of luck... -_-)

Anyway, PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END!!! IT'S IMPORTANT!!!

Disclaimer: I don't own ANYTHING. All characters belong to Rick Riordan. Credit to him-- this is only a fan fiction...

Read on! Let's see if I break my own record...

XV- Frank

As if losing Hazel to Gaea wasn't bad enough, the trio walked barely ten feet into the city before they were attacked.

Frank was so distracted feeling guilty about Hazel that he didn't realize a hellhound had crept up behind him. That is, until Annabeth yelled out alarmingly, "Frank, behind you!"

Thankfully, Frank had quick reflexes from his time training in Camp Jupiter. He jumped to the side as the overgrown dog of the Underworld barreled past him like a bull.

Frank readied his bow, but he had no use for it. As soon as an arrow was notched, aimed, and ready to be fired, Jason had taken out the hellhound with his gladius.

"Stupid mutt," Jason muttered as he scowled at the scratches the hellhound's claws had given him.

"Here," Annabeth held out a square of ambrosia, which Jason took gratefully. "We have to be more aware. We're in Athens, after all. Of all places to be careful, this is the place we need to be most focused."

Frank nodded, "Agreed. They are probably plenty more of Gaea's monsters lurking around here."

As if on cue, a growl ripped through the air, seemingly coming from an alleyway between to buildings. Frank pointed with an arrow. "Over there," he whispered, not wanting to draw the attention of whatever was hiding in the dark.

Annabeth nodded, keeping a firm grip on her ivory sword. Frank readied another arrow, hoping to be able to actually use this one.

Another growl echoed from the alleyway, louder this time. The trio waited in bated breath for what Frank suspected to be another hellhound come out of hiding.

Faster than Frank could blink, a mass of black fur bounded out of the darkness. "Duck!" Annabeth screamed. The three demigods hit the ground as the hellhound-- much larger than the last-- flew over them. It landed with a thump behind them, snarling.

Frank scrambled to his feet, his friends coping his movements. The hellhound panted, eyeing the demigods with its creepy red eyes. Its black fur was matted with what Frank seriously hoped wasn't dried blood.

Frank hated creatures of the Underworld. It was just another reminder of how easily his life could be snatched away from him.

The hellhound crouched, getting ready to pounce.

"Guys...," Jason warned, not taking his eyes off the dog.

"Jason, attack from the front," Annabeth commanded, taking on the role of the strategist. "Distract it. I'll attack from the back. And Frank?"

Frank looked up.

"Try to find the more sensitive spots."

Frank nodded, "Got it."

The hellhound pounced. Frank watched as Annabeth rolled to the side, while Jason slashed and stabbed at the front, trying not to get scratched by the hellhounds gigantic paws.