Chapter XVI

*A/N: HIYA GUYS!!! MISS ME???

Dedication for this chappie goes to NiaScott6 for getting both questions from last update correct! Congrats! And thanks for all the reads, votes, and comments!! You guys are awesome!

Disclaimer: I don't own anything. Credit to Rick Riordan.

Hope you enjoy chapter SIXTEEN!!! A little something for a late Fourth of July, for all of you who are Americans! This took forever to write...

🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆 ( <------BTW those are supposed to be fireworks... it looks weird unless you're on a cell phone or something...)

XVI- Piper

Piper hadn't been expecting to see fireworks.

For the past hour, Leo, Piper, and Percy had been running through empty roads, hiding behind parked cars and in dark alleys, and dodging the occasional flaming ball of death.

Not the way Piper had envisioned sightseeing Athens, Greece.

After an hour of non-stop running, Piper's legs were threatening to give out, her lungs feeling like they were about to collapse any second.

"Guys..." Leo wheezed out. "I don't... I don't think I can go much farther..."

Percy looked like he was having similar thoughts.

Since Leo was immune to the intense heat of the fire, he had offered to fall back and give the monsters a taste of their own medicine, while Piper and Percy made a getaway.

Both Piper and Percy immediately refused. Piper wasn't about to let them split up and get separated.

Their next plan was to stop running and fight-- that hadn't turned out to well. The monsters had deadly accuracy, and the nasty burn on Percy's leg was enough proof of that for Piper.

With no plan in mind, and no idea how to defeat any of the monsters when they couldn't even see where half of them were hiding, the demigods faced no choice but to keep running.

They were running for their lives along the outskirts of Athens, where they saw more trees than buildings. But even with all the trees, there was hardly any shade, and the hot July sun beat down hard on the trio.

The fireballs didn't help with the heat.

"Death-ball, on your right!" Percy yelled, shoving Piper down, who slammed into Leo. The fireball hurtled over the three demigods as they collapsed on the grass alongside the road, completely exhausted.

"Thanks," Piper breathed, completely out of breath.

"Don't mention it," Percy mumbled as he rolled over onto his back and closed his eyes, probably enjoying the shade beneath the tree, something that was so hard to find at the time.

"Here's what I want to know..." Leo started, leaning against the trunk of the tree. "What's with the fireballs?"

Piper shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe it's just another weapon of Gaea's."

Leo didn't seem satisfied with that answer. "Yeah, but still... Doesn't it seem a bit odd?"

"I dunno, Leo." Piper sighed. "I wouldn't think about it too hard."

Leo didn't respond.

It was quiet for a moment as the trio caught the breath, glad to be out of the sun's rays.

Piper sighed with relief to be out of the death-by-fireball zone, and closed her eyes. She got about a minute of rest before something exploded in an area that sounded dangerously close to the three demigods' rest stop.