Chapter XXXI

XXXI- Percy

After they had finished discussing the prophecy, the Seven split up and went to their cabins to prepare all that they could.

Percy, though, found himself up on deck, leaning against the railing as he stared off at the city of Athens in the distance. He didn't want to go to his room so he could prepare. Getting weapons and armor ready just proved how close the war was.

And although Percy knew that the first of August was the next day, part of him didn't want to believe it.

Part of him just wanted to pinch himself into waking up from this nightmare, but he knew this wasn't a dream; It was reality.

Percy didn't doubt any of his friends, but that didn't mean he wasn't worried about the outcome of this war.

In all honesty, he was sick of it all. Saving the world, fighting evil gods and titans, being a simple pawn on the chessboard, being a hero...

Sure, it was a great feeling to know that you've saved the lives of mortals, or prevented the downfall of Olympus, but part of Percy wished he could just live a calm, peaceful life, away from any battlefield; away from any threat of death that constantly hovered over Percy's shoulder.

But Percy still wouldn't give up his demigod life for anything- even if he had the chance to be a mortal, living a normal mortal's life. If he wasn't a demigod, he would have never met all of his friends; he would've never had the chance to see all the things he'd seen, or do all the things he had done.

But having a life like a mortal would be fairly boring compared to Percy's life; the powers and fun adventures come with the threat of death, and Percy just learned to accept that.

Just like he had to accept that the next day was the Feast of Spes; in other words: the day Gaea throws the world into chaos.

He stood up there for what seemed like forever, and before he knew it, the clock struck seven o' clock.

Leo's voice sounded from the hidden speakers, announcing a 'We're going to win this war!' celebration dinner.

Percy's stomach growled with hunger, and he realized the Seven had skipped over lunch in their haste to prepare for the war. He headed below deck, into the room where the demigods had met before to discuss the prophecy.

Everyone else was already there, food stacked on their plates.

"Come join us, Percy!" Jason called. "You don't want to skip dinner; we've already missed lunch."

Percy took a seat between Leo and Frank. "Yeah, I've realized that."  

"Eat up, guys," Leo said, stuffing his mouth with yet another taco. "We've got a war to fight tomorrow."

"Don't have to remind me," Piper muttered.

*   *   * 

After dinner, everyone bid each other good night, then headed to their cabins.

It was still pretty early- about eight-thirty, but the Seven figured they might as well get as much sleep as they could.

Percy wasn't going to complain.

As his head hit the pillow, Percy's last though before he fell asleep was a hope that his night would be peaceful.

It didn't feel like he'd been asleep for more than five minutes before his alarm clock beeped.

Percy groaned, and rolled over to face his clock. It read 8:00 AM. Sighing, Percy pressed the off button and pulled himself out of bed, finding himself facing his desk, where his armor was already laid out, Riptide in pen form right beside it.