Chapter XXXIX

XXXIX- Percy

The fight with Gaea had hardly begun before someone got injured.

Out of the corner of his eye, Percy could see Frank standing protectively over Hazel, doing all he could to shoot arrows at Gaea and defend Hazel at the same time.

"Duck!" Annabeth commanded him, and Percy dropped to the ground as Annabeth swung her sword over his head, clashing with Gaea's own weapon. Jumping to his feet, Percy lunged for Gaea's arm, only to be driven backward by the earth goddess' blade.

Jason summoned a bolt of lightning, aiming it at Gaea's chest. The goddess simply yelled in anger, stumbled back a few feet, then went right back to trying to kill Percy and his friends.

It seemed like nothing was working; the most the demigods could do was slow Gaea down, and even that effort seemed futile. All around them, the battle still raged, but Percy could sense the other demigods glancing at the battle the Seven was locked in.

Gaea raised her hand, and a vine shot out of the ground, spinning around before shooting back towards the ground like a rocket, aiming straight for Percy. Percy jumped to the side, throwing himself to the ground in time to see the vine slam into the earth. He brought his sword around, cutting off the top two feet of the vine.

It recoiled like a snake, before attacking again, curling around Percy's ankle. He hacked at the plant with his sword, and jumped up, backing away from the vine on the ground.

He returned his attention the the fight in time to see Gaea thrust her sword at Piper, who was helping Hazel back on her feet. "Piper!" Percy yelled out. In a moment of desperation, he chucked his sword at Gaea's arm, where it easily cut into her skin.

Gaea roared, drawing her arm back. "You will pay for that, son of Poseidon." She turned her blade to slam the flat of it against Percy's chest, but Percy held up his own sword to block her attack, pushing her back.

Gaea pulled her sword back, instead going for Leo, who had nearly caught her hair on fire.

The fight wore on; the demigods were only growing weaker, while Gaea was slowly gaining strength.

All she needed now was two sacrifices, and she'd be virtually unstoppable.

*   *   *

Annabeth

Annabeth had begun to think Gaea had forgotten about needing sacrifices.

Then she realized how dumb that thought was. The odds of Gaea forgetting the need to kill two demigods was as low as the Olympians getting along.

So far, the fight was going in neither side's favor. The Seven weren't weakening Gaea, but at the same time, Gaea hadn't seriously injured any of the demigods.

Aside from Hazel, who had taken a nasty cut to the leg, but the daughter of Pluto was back on her feet, looking a little green but determined to stay upright.

Then Gaea got exactly what she wanted. Jerking her hand upright, she commanded yet another vine to shoot out of the ground, twisting around until it had curled around the demigod Annabeth knew Gaea would go after.

The vine twisted around Percy, catching him completely off guard. Annabeth couldn't take her eyes off of Gaea or she'd be dead, but she could see Percy trying to hack at the vines, only to have the plant literally rip the weapon out of his hands.

"Percy!" Annabeth yelled, backing away from Gaea's sword. "Hang on, I'm coming!"

"Oh, no you're not, daughter of Athena," Gaea said, sending another vine to knock Annabeth to the ground.