Time Flies

The sound of the faucet running filled my ears as I sat up right on the couch. My chest rose and fell painfully. I placed my hand over the side of my rib cage, there was a bruise but nothing broken. I raised my arm up to my mouth and wiped my sleeve across it at the disgusting feeling of thick moister on my chin. When my hand drew away from my face there was a smear of bright red blood on the cuff of my sleeve. I started in confusion and surprise.

"It's from the magic," Anti said from across the room. He turned off the faucet and dried his hands. "And be grateful, I spent the whole night debating on helping you."

I threw my feet on the hardwood floor. "You shouldn't have. I've been a dick to you lately. I probably wouldn't have help me out," I said standing up and walking over to him, resting my elbows on the island across from him.

He sighed and shook his head, throwing the towel to the corner of the counter, glaring at me through his eyelashes. He stalked into the living room, threw himself on the crouch, and turned on the tv, flicking through the shows and settling on Cops ironically. "There's crescents if you want them," he said.

I ignored his and strode over to the couch, staring at him from the opposite arm. His eyebrows daring to touch each other in between his eyes, his eyes a shade darker, reminding me of the night after I came home from the hospital. I fiddled with my fingers, almost afraid to sit down next to him, for fear he might disown me. The night before left me on edge, I had been angry at the time but never meant it to come across like I had hated him for it: I had lashed out at him like that a time or two before, it gave me no right to treat him like that. The cushions sank down as I sat on them, my heart skipping a beat at the thought of him so close to me. What? Is it too much for ye'? Was the first thing he had ever said to me, his accent was thicker back then but I dyed out as time went on. I had feared him then, I would've never fallen in love with him then. I still loved him but was beginning to fall back into the pattern of fear that I used to have. I yearned to reach out to him, to touch him and brush the fallen hair out of his face, but I resisted.

I will not fear him, I thought, not again. "Look," I said, "I'm sorry, okay? I hadn't meant to be rude to you before. I had no right to lash out at you like that, after everything that you've helped me through and to act like that when you have a similar episode wasn't right." He seemed to almost be ignoring me, but I didn't really care. "I should've help you and done as you asked when you asked me to to something. I shouldn't have let my feelings over come my judgement." I stared out into space, my throat and eyes beginning to sting. "I'm so  sorry," I nearly whispered. "I just- don't want to make you think that I don't care about you and how you feel. I know you probably hate me now and don't want anything to do with me, and I understand that, I wouldn't either. You should've left me there last night." I let a tear fall down my cheek and took a ragged breath, I dropped my head and wiped my eyes with my palm and let out a sigh that turned to be a triple huff of sorrow. "You should've chained me up again or just let me die on that cement floor. I don't know if you can forgive me-"

"I do," Anti cut in. I turned to face him, realizing that he was staring at me. "I forgive you," he reached over and lied his hand on my thigh. "I was angry but I don't hate you. I could never hate you. What I said last night about breaking up, I didn't mean it, and I understand that you didn't mean what you said last night. I feel the same way." His hand move up to my face and caressed my cheek, I leaned into him like a cat and placed my hand over his.  He scooted over a seat and our knees touched as he hesitated and pulled me into a hug. I nuzzled into the crook of his neck. "I love you," he whispered. "Don't ever think that I don't."

He pulled back and leaned into me, closing the space between us. I shot my hands quickly to his chest,  pulling backwards and shoving him away a bit. "Wait," I said. "I think I need some time before- you know?"