Chapter 5

I put the books in there and later also my documents and earphones and my mobile phone and boarded the plane. And with every minute more waiting I got even more nervous...

I wasn't flying first class, and to be honest, I was pretty happy about that. And I had also luck when it comes to my neighbour; he wasn't some old, disgusting pedophile, but the same nice guy I met before at the bookstore.

"Long time, no see, eh?"

"Yeah.", we both smiled. He held his hand out. I took it and shook it.

"Hi, I'm Tommy."

"Liz. Nice to meet you."

"What leads you to Vienna? Or is it just a stopover?"

"I'm meeting an old friend of mine and maybe some family. It's pretty complicated. What leads you?"

"I actually live there. Well, I was born over here, but moved then with my family to Austria.  I work part-time at a radio-station here and in Austria."

"Nice. How old are you, if I may ask?"

"I'm 22. And you?"

"I'm sixteen."

"Wow. And your parents let you fly all by yourself?", a stewardess brought us some water.

"Well, I'm adopted. They're pretty nice people."

"And now you're meeting your parents in Vienna?", he made a confused expression.

"Oh, no.", I had to smile. "My parents died in a car crash a few years ago. I've been put into different families and a few months ago my adoptive Mum and I had a fight, I ran away slash she kicked me out and I met a friend of the pair who adopted me. And now there's a trace to a family member and I'd like to meet him. Like I said, it's pretty complicated."

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to-"

"It's ok."

"And how did it happen you landed here in California?"

"Do you know Green Day?"

"You must be kidding; that's one of my favorite bands! Their London-show was more than just 'awsome'! But why?"

I just grinned and told him the whole story. Ok, maybe I left the cutting part out, but yeah.

While talking with Tommy, I didn't feel uncomfortable or anything. He was so nice and fun to talk with.

"So, am I dreaming or am I really talking for a few hours to Billie Joe's adopted child and the mysterious girl from onstage?"

"You asked that question already two hours ago, Tom.", I playfully rolled my eyes as he playfully hit me on the arm.

"How long do you plan to stay in Vienna?"

"A week. You?"

"A month. Depends. I'm thinking about quitting one job and start working full-time. But I don't know. Hey, we'll be landing soon. How 'bout we exchange numbers or mail addresses or Facebook or who-knows-what.", Tommy's smile was so big I couldn't resist and wrote my number down on a napkin.

"You're lucky that I like you.", I grinned and we both started to laugh. Soon after I fell asleep for one hour.

After we've got our luggage, we hugged goodbye. I walked over to Tory and he went into the other direction.

"Liz!"

"Tory!" We hugged each other pretty long. "I've missed you so much! Congrats for your own flat!"

"Thanks. I've missed you too!"

We took a cab over to her flat - it was on the third floor and pretty modern and just cool. I sat down on her couch and realized how tired I really was.

"So what are your plans for tomorrow?"

"Look where my brother lives and pay him a visit.", I looked around. She had a few pictures of us hung up on the walls. "Where did you get those from?! Oh my gosh, how long is that ago?", I was really upset. But not in a negative way.

"Well, I thought I'll spend some money and time and give you this;", she pulled out a black, wooden guitar-picture frame thing and handed it to me. It was full of photos of us, of the days she was in California and we celebrated together my birthday, of Billie, Mike, Tre, Jason and me doing stupid things, me on stage in London, Angnes and me, Joey, Jacob and me, my Parents together with me and my brother and a big photo with the whole Green Day Family and my friends on it. I hugged her as tight as I was able to.

"Omg, where did you get all of those pics from? I can't believe it - so many memories." I was already crying.

"Better go to sleep - tomorrow's gonna be a long day. I can feel it."

"Thanks, Tory. For everything."

"Girl, we're friends - there's nothing to thank for."

The next morning I woke up, I felt a big urge for coffee and cigarettes. Tired, I made my way over to the kitchen to find Tory sitting on the phone.

"Morning!", she greeted me.

"Hmpf." was all I could say.

"Watch out, we've gut a grumpy over here."

"Ha - ha.", I said sarcastically, but had to laugh anyways. "Where does he live?"

"Who?", she asked. I gave her a look which said 'seriously, idiot?!' "Oh, Thomas - not far away from here. Just a few stations with the metro."

"So then, I'll get going."

"I'm coming with you!", Tory shouted and took her bag and cigarettes.

"You don't have to, Tor. You've done already enough for me."

"But I want to. I don't wanna miss the moment my best friend finally meets someone from her family.", she grinned and pushed me out of the flat. Shaking my head and laughing, I followed her out of the building.