Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Truths, Not Facts

🚙 🚙 🚙

“Please don't do this.” Kino said barely able to hold back his tears as he held Eunbin's hand tightly, afraid that she would let go and that would be permanent.

“I'm sorry.”

“Why are you doing this?”

Because we've grown apart! I'm so... tired of convincing myself we were still the same people in love years ago. Please just understand me, oppa. I loved you, butㅡit's over. I'm sorry.”

Kino inhaled a sharp breath once he opened his eyes. His heart was beating fast and loud. He looked around in the darkness and cursed under his breath realizing it's just a dream again.

He quietly slipped out of the tent after grabbing his backpack quickly. The calm and cold of dawn greeted him. Until when would he be dreaming of that painful part of his life?

He walked towards the van, unzipped his bag and took out his toothbrush. He brushed his teeth while trying to erase the nightmare from his memory again. It's been so long for goodness sake. There are times he doesn't think about Eunbin anymore as if he had forgotten even the fact that she existed, but then there are nights that he still dreamed of her and days when he still wondered about her, what she's up to now, and whether she's already in love with someone else.

He knows that he had moved on somehow. He'd accepted the fact that they weren't meant to be together for a lifetime unlike the way he used to thinkㅡbut somewhere deep down his heart there's an ugly big scar that was left behind because of how long it took for the wound to heal.

Maybe, he doesn't even believe anymore that love could even last a lifetime even though most people around him claimed to be in loveㅡthe big question is, for how long?

Because as he clearly recalls, he and Eunbin were together and were in love for many years that they even witnessed each other growing up. It's like he'd known her forever. When he closed his eyes back then under the sky, lying down with Eunbin and holding her hand, he couldn't imagine his life without her. But still, that wasn't enough, right? Because look where they are nowㅡthey don't even know each other's whereabouts.

He shook his head and rinsed his mouth, and then he opened Hongseok's compartment where he knows he keeps the small sachets of instant coffee. He boiled water and made himself a cup of hot coffee, then he sat by the van and watched as the sun rises.

From a distance, he could make out a familiar figure jogging in circles around the camping ground. Her short hair was tied in a low ponytail and strands of it have escaped to her face.

Yeeun jogged towards the van without seeing him. She was wearing earphones so Kino decided to wave to get her attention.

She turned to him and her eyes widened for a quick second before her lips slowly curved into a friendly smile. “Hey! Good morning!” she greeted, pulling out her earphones. She was panting when she reached the spot beside him.

“You're awake early.” He said, watching her. Sweat trickled down from her forehead.

She was still trying to catch her breath when she replied, “Yeah, couldn't sleep actually. Probably still adjusting to the timezone.” She turned to him and asked, “What about you?”