Chapter 23

-Destiney-

There's something about Liam that I haven't quite figured out yet. He's quiet. Well, obviously, but it's like he has this whole different world going on inside his head that he doesn't share with anyone. A sad one. 

I could be wrong, though. Maybe it's just me.

Then again, why would he go to a therapist if everything was okay? He told me he only had to go because of family issues, but I don't think he's telling the truth. Wouldn't his family go with him if that was the problem?

I wish I knew him better. I wish I could remember. In fact, that's all I want. It isn't fair that he knows more about myself than I do, and I can't even remember him. I know his name and that he doesn't talk. Nothing more. 

I don't even remember what he told me my full name was. All I remember is that I'm Destiney, 21 years old, and I work at a market. But I know nothing beyond that. 

I felt stupid.

So I sat in the small, floral lounge chair in the front office of whatever this building was, while Liam was in a room elsewhere, talking to a therapist, and tried to remember.

I pressed my my fingers against my temples and strained my brain. I went through everything I knew, which wasn't much, and tried accumulating more. But nothing came.

I need to remember. I have to.

My head began to ache. It was throbbing with pain, almost unbearable. I held my head in my hands and screamed. I think I fell to the floor, but I wasn't sure, for I couldn't concentrate on anything except the excruciating pain.

I opened my eyes, but instead of seeing the white walls of the boring office, I saw a highway. Pavement scattered in blood, a semi flipped on it's side, a car that I recognized, completely and utterly demolished. 

I screamed as another bolt of pain stroke through my head. And then I remembered;

I was in a vehicle collision.

I felt people around me, talking out loud. "What happened?", "Is she okay?",  "Do we call an ambulance?"

I stood up, my knuckles turning white as I gripped the arm of the chair I was previously sat in. "Liam.." I mumbled. I needed to find him.

"There's no Liam here, sweety. Why don't you sit down-"

"I need him. I need.." I placed both of my hands on opposite sides of my head in desperate attempt to stop the pain, but it prevailed over me trying to stop it. When my hand found the doorknob, I whimpered.

"Ma'am, you need to stay here," someone says from behind me, but I shook my head and took a step out the door. I don't need to do anything besides find Liam.

I painfully made my way down the corridor, stopping a few times when the ache inside my head became fleetingly unbearable. The top of my head was pressed against the wall while I stared down at the floor, trying anything and everything to make the pain go away.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Liam standing next to me with an older man, looking genuinly concerned. The man didn't seem so worried.

"Liam," I whispered and fell into his body, grabbing his forearms to keep from falling down. "It hurts..it hurts so bad."

I felt Liam pull out something from his pocket, though I wasn't exactly sure what. "You know, Liam, I wouldn't have to call for you if you would just talk."

I furrowed my eyes at the man's words. Why was he being so rude to Liam? Maybe it isn't his fault he can't talk. Maybe he's disabled. That guy has no right to say those things.