Chapter 29

Two months have gone by. A very slow, painful two months.

Now it seems as if getting better isn't even an option.

I'm so sick, but apparently there isn't anything that can be done about it.

And then there's Liam, who has gotten better at eating, but his depression still attacks him. We're both just a huge mess.

"Feeling okay?" Liam asked from beside me. He asks me that every day, which I thought was really sweet.

"Not really," I muttered. "It's bad today." Some days I can tolerate the pain, but other days it's unbearable.

"Sorry," he frowned and wrapped his arms around me, resting his head on my arm.

I ran a hand through his hair and smiled. "It isn't your fault."

He shrugged against my figure and hugged me tight, exhaling a deep breath of air. "Mine's bad too."

"What is?" I asked. I crossed my fingers, hoping he wouldn't say his stomach. He's done so well.

He pointed to his head, and I knew what he meant. His mental health was bad today. "I miss the old us," I sighed.

"Me too," Liam agreed, nodding his head. "Better times."

"A lot better."

He sat up straight and rubbed his eyes. "Ready?"

I glanced at the clock on the wall, which unfortunately read 9:45 am. I had an appointment at 10. "I guess," I shrugged, and pulled my legs off of the coffee table.

"Carry?"

"No, no. I can do it," I shook my head and stood up from the sofa. I took 3 steps forward, then stopped. So far, so good.

I took two steps to the left so I could use the wall for support, then two steps forward. My left foot was in the air when I felt myself giving out. "Okay, no," I shook my head, and Liam caught me before I dropped to the floor.

I couldn't help it. Standing there in Liam's arms, unable to walk on my own, I began to cry. "What's wrong?" Liam asked softly, angling himself to better see my face.

"I just want to fucking walk! I want to walk and run and ride a bike or play football! I can't fucking do this anymore!" I screamed, louder than intended.

He didn't say anything, but he didn't need to. There wasn't anything you could say to make the situation better. "Let's just go," I shook my head and made my way towards the door.

"Calm," Liam mumbled behind me. I ignored him and tried walking faster. I hate this constant less-than-one-mile-per-hour pace.

"Destiney," he warned. I already felt light headed. I stood on top of his porch, and looked ahead of me. Twelve steps.

Flights of stairs were my worst opponent. They took the most energy to go up and down, and energy wasn't something I had.

"I..can do it.." I whispered softly.

"Gonna be late. Carry," Liam shook his head, and before I could protest, he lifted me off the ground and quickly made his way down the steps.

"I wanted to do it on my own!" I shouted after he set me back on my feet, in front of the passenger side door. "I don't need your help all the time!"

I opened the door and threw myself in, despite my current breathing condition, and slammed the door shut. I lifted my feet up on the seat and buried my head in my lap.

"Why me? Why did this have to happen to me? I never did anything wrong, I don't deserve this," I mumbled to myself.

The car began moving and I heard Liam sigh. I wonder how much he hates me for all of this.