Chapter 34

-Liam-

"Be careful, don't let anything scratch you." I was currently cleaning up my broken phone while Destiney kept ordering me to be safe and not get cut on any glass. God damn, she's so cute.

"Done?" she asked as I stood up from the floor. I held the dusting pan full of glass up so she could see inside and nodded my head. I left the room and dumped it all into the trash, then I put the broom and dusting pan back in the supply closet.

I met Destiney in the kitchen and sat down beside her at the bar. "Um, you can have mine and connect it to your services or whatever. It's pretty useless to me without wifi."

She slid her mobile across the counter and it landed in front of me. I picked it up and examined it then gave it back. I shook my head no. I don't have anyone to call anyways.

"Well..I think you should take it. We have to have at least one working phone, what if a transplant for me comes in? How would they call us?" Crap, I never thought about that.

"Okay," I said quietly and took it from her. "Go tomorrow."

"Alright," she smiled and softly kissed my cheek. "Now what?"

I stood up from the chair and went to the fridge. I got the right stuff for sandwiches and laid it all out across the counter. "Liam, are you still getting paid through the end of the month?"

I looked up from the sandwich I was making and averted my gaze to Destiney. She was reading the unpaid hospital bill that came in the mail yesterday. She looked at me and I nodded my head yes.

But that wasn't going to get us by. The end of the month was in a week, and I didn't have a job. And we need money for more things than just hospital bills.

"We're gonna have to find jobs," Destiney then said, and opened up a newspaper that our neighbor gave us. He always gives me the newspapers once he finishes them, and I always feel bad because he probably expects me to read them but I just throw them in the trash.

"You're gonna need one where you don't have to speak," she mumbled to herself, running her eyes over the paper. "And I need one that I can stay in one place-ooh, how do you feel about stocking market shelves?" she averted her gaze from the newspaper and looked at me, waiting for my answer. I only shrugged. It didn't sound very appealing.

"It isn't that bad, really. And if you get everything stocked then you can just screw off the rest of the time and still get paid."

"Okay," I nodded my head and went back to making our sandwiches. "That one."

"Alright," she whispered and circled it with my red marker. "There's nothing here that I can do though..wait, what about the library? I could sit at the desk and check people's books out."

"Sounds safe," I nodded. I didn't want her to do anything, because who knows when something she has to do might be too much. If she got bad and I wasn't there to help her..I'd probably blame myself.

"We'll go tomorrow," Destiney said and folded the newspaper back up. I nodded in agreement as I finished with our sandwiches. "Thanks babe," she smiled at me after I gave her one of them.

I sat down beside her and began eating the sandwich. One of the hardest parts of every day was meal times. I felt that I had done better about eating healthier than I used to, but recently I've felt that I'm losing control over myself again. And I should probably tell Destiney, but I don't want her to waste her time worrying about me.

"What's wrong?" She laid her hand on top of mine and rubbed my skin with her icy thumb. I shook my head as if to say 'nothing's wrong' and took another bite of my sandwich.