Chapter 31

-Liam-

Today Destiney goes in for a screening. Dr. Wence told me they're going to test her and see if she'll survive a transplant, and if her body will accept a new organ.

I was freaking out. With how everything had gone, I automatically assumed that this would go wrong too. She won't survive a transplant. Her body will be too weak or it won't react correctly and she won't make it. I know something bad will happen.

Destiney, on the other hand, wasn't so worried. Actually, she really had no idea what was going on. The doctors put her on different pain medication, and she reacted to it a bit differently than they had expected. But it was working, so we're sticking with it.

"Liam." I faced her, surprised she had actually said my name. She had been having troubles with names since the medicine kicked in. I thought she might be coming back to herself, then she began giggling and I stopped my hopes there.

"What?" I scooted closer to her and took her hand. She lifted our hands up in the air and stared at them, turning them from side to side so she could see all around.

"One, two, three," Destiney giggled, pointing to my index finger, middle finger, and ring finger as she counted.

"Yes," I nodded my head. She smiled up at me brightly. I couldn't help but smile back; she looked so happy.

I turned towards the door as it opened, and watched a nurse come in. She gave me a smile before checking Destiney's machines. "Destiney, how are you today?" she asked in a special tone, that made me think she was talking to a small child.

Destiney held up a thumb and gave the nurse a wide smile. "That's good! Can you tell me his name?" she asked, pointing a finger in my direction.

Destiney looked at me and gave me a puzzled look, but it quickly vanished and was replaced with a grin. "He's Liam."

"Good job, Des!" the nurse cheered, then held her hand up to give her a high-five. I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair, resting my head in my hand.

I didn't like it when Destiney acted this way. It made me think she had some sort of brain trouble, and I've had enough of things like that with her.

"-to go to a different room?" I shook my head and leaned forward, watching Destiney carefully. The screening must be going on now.

"Liam," Destiney mumbled, but she wouldn't look at me directly.

"Yeah?" I reached for her hand and squeezed it.

"We go now," she answered, and leaned forward, then dangled her legs over the bed.

The nurse helped her up and got her positioned in the wheel chair. "Do you want to push her?" she asked, giving me a hopeful smile.

Without answering, I grabbed the two handles and wheeled her out to the hallway, then followed the nurse to the screening room. If Destiney wasn't so drugged up, she would have been complaining about using a wheel chair the entire time, so thankfully this time was easier.

"One, two, three," Destiney giggled as we made our way past a group of 3 people. She really enjoyed counting. She turned to look behind her at the people and giggled a bit more.

They probably assumed she had brain damage and were now feeling sorry for me, which they definitely shouldn't. "How long?" I exhaled, giving the nurse a worried look.

"Once her body gets used to the medication, she won't act this way. It's only because her body is new to it and there's such a high dose. Her brain is processing it." I nodded my head in understanding. Hopefully by tomorrow I can actually talk to her.