Chapter 35

-Liam-

You don't realize what you have until it's gone. Or in my case, close to being gone. It's like, we take everything in life for granted until we have nothing left. And then after it's too late, we start to think maybe we should have appreciated that more.

That's how I felt. As I stood in the corner of the emergency room, watching nurses and doctors run around the room, poking things into Destiney's skin and injecting her with countless medications, I felt that I never treated her the way I should have.

I should have treated her like I was trying to win her heart everyday, even after I already had. I should have treated her as if every moment was my last with her, because now I won't get another chance.

Of course, I don't know that 100%, but with the words the doctors are shouting and the time that keeps passing, hope has completely left me. I don't even really feel sad. I felt..nothing. I feel nothing. There's nothing there.

"Liam, we need you to leave," a nurse mumbled quickly and pushed me out of the room without waiting for me to answer. "Just, don't come back in here," she added, then returned to the room.

So I did what I was told. I didn't go back in there. I rode the elevator to the bottom floor and went to my car. I leaned back in the seat and took a deep breath, held it for 3 seconds, then let it back out.

I looked over in the passenger seat, where Destiney's purse was still sitting, and took her mobile from it. I started the car and left the premises. I drove into the city. I tried acting like everything was okay, even though it absolutely wasn't.

I parked in front of the radio shop, which is the same place where I set up my old phone. I took Destiney's phone and quickly went inside to avoid the cold. "Hello, how may I help you?"

"Um, my phone broke and I want to disconnect it and use this one," I mumbled and placed Destiney's mobile on the counter.

"Your name, sir?" the lady asked and placed her fingers along the keyboard of her computer.

"Liam Payne," I answered and forced a very unconvincing smile.

"Ah, here you are," she smiled and jammed her finger on the enter key. "Do you want the same mobile and data plan as before?"

"Yes," I nodded. She took the phone, unlocked it, (thankfully there wasn't a passcode because I wouldn't have known it) and did whatever it is she needed to do so it would work. After about 10 minutes she slid it back across the counter and I put it in my pocket.

"Alright, you're all set," she smiled. "Thanks for stopping by."

"Thank you," I nodded my head then awkwardly shuffled out of the room. After I was in my car again, I went through Destiney's contacts and found Naomi and Chase's. In a group message to the both of them, I said, "hi".

I reclined my seat back the slightest bit and laid back, getting as comfortable as possible. I need to take a break or a nap or something.

From Chase: who is this?

To group message: Liam

I glanced outside the window as a man in all black walked by, who kept looking behind him as if he was being followed. He was acting rather suspicious, so I reached over and locked the car doors. You can never be too safe.

From Chase: oh hey man how's it going?

To group message: I need to talk to both of you asap

I locked the phone and threw it in the passenger car seat, then turned the car on. I leaned forward so I was sitting straight and backed out onto the street. I drove all the way back to my house.