Chapter 22

So finally, after 2 months and 19 days, Destiney is being released from the hospital. Happy is an understatement for what I felt when I was told we could finally leave that place. Then it was taken away from me 5 minutes later when I found out that she has to stay with me alone.

I told Naomi no, (well, I vigorously shook my head to get the point across) but she told me I didn't have a choice. She's visiting her family with Chase for the next two weeks and Destiney isn't quite well enough to stay on her own. Apparently I'm the only person that can watch over her and I'm the exact opposite of excited.

"Okay Liam, pay attention." I turn away from the posters on the wall and face Dr. Wence. "Destiney has tablets to take every morning, they're to help with her memory. Make. Sure. She. Takes. Them."

I closed my hand around the bottle of pills and slid them into my pocket. "She's going to forget so it's your responsibility to help her remember."

"Okay, make sure she eats right; no skipping meals. Even if you do, don't let her. But you shouldn't either. It's unhealthy for you, and if she sees you do it, she might want to copy you and do it as well," he continued on with his 'important tasks'.

I've gotten better at eating lately. I've only been throwing up 3 to 4 times a week, which still isn't all that great, but it's better than before. At least I'm making progress, right?

"Oh, one last thing. You know a lot about Destiney, yeah?" Dr. Wence asks, leaning against the wall. We were standing outside Destiney's room while Naomi helped her get ready to leave. I nodded my head, staring down at myself.

My shirt was almost 2 sizes too large and my skinny jeans weren't really skinny jeans anymore. Personally, I thought I looked rather disgusting. Looking in the mirror was even worse.

"Help her remember. Tell her things about herself, you, Naomi, Chase; everything you can think of," he says. "And Liam," I force my eyes away from my body and meet his gaze. "You're gonna have to start talking, lad. It will make things easier for both you and her. At least try?"

There it is again. Those words. 'You need to talk.' Why won't anyone realized that I can't? If I open my mouth, more of the wrong things will slip. Or I'll crack. I've made a deal with myself to only speak if Destiney asks me to. Maybe. I might not speak even then.

"Alright, day one with Liam has begun!" Naomi cheers as she came from the room with Destiney wobbling behind. I wondered how hard it was to get around with a broken leg.

"I have to stay with you," Destiney muttered to herself, aiming a finger in my direction. "Liam. You're Liam," she said as if taking mental notes, planting the information she knew in her mind.

I nod my head slowly as she reminded me, "Liam doesn't speak," and I couldn't help giving her an odd glance.

"She's just saying what she knows to help her remember," Dr. Wence smiles warmly, assuring me that what she was doing was fine. Normal even.

"I'm D-" her face fell and she furrowed her eyebrows. I gave her an encouraging look. C'mon, she has to remember. "Des..Destiney. Destiney! And you're Liam." I gave her the best smile I could, which really wasn't all that great.

"And you're N-" Again, she stopped and placed her hand over her head. "I know it, I just-..No-Na..Nao-Naomi! You're Naomi!" she beams, pointing, this time, to Naomi.

"Yeah!" Naomi cheers, encouraging Destiney. God, it was like teaching a 3 year old how to speak. Nearly impossible.

"Are you ready?" Naomi looked between Destiney and I, smiling as if this whole thing was a normal, everyday occurrence.