015

~ content companions ~

"god i miss food," millie said as she watched sadie eating an ice cream cone. the two were sitting in the back corner of an empty baskin robbins. they decided to have ice cream for their monday morning lunch (millie didn't eat because- she physically couldn't), despite the fact that they had little time to eat considering the 30-minute lunch they were given and it was snowing.

"i bet you do," sadie said, giggling, "just know i got one scoop of oreo for you. i will consume it for you,"

sadie was talking to nothing. millie was there, of course, but nobody else knew that. so, sadie figured out a trick. she put headphones in and put her phone on the table to make it look like she was on the phone with someone one.

sadie..... like having millie around. it made her feel like a little kid again. like she had an imaginary friend that no one else could talk to but her.

sometimes she thought about how other people might think she was insane if they knew.

was she insane?

it didn't matter.

millie could just smile at her and sadie felt better.

suddenly, millie got serious, "hey, uh-sadie. i can tell you anything right?"

"of course," sadie said, licking her ice cream like a dog.

millie smiled, "okay, i can't take you seriously when you do that,"

sadie took a large bite of the ice cream, particularly taking the top off so it wouldn't melt onto her and make it sticky.

"aw shit tooth freze," sadie said, wincing.

"there's no such thing. it's called getting fucked by ice cream," millie said.

"ha ha," sadie said, pretending to laugh while trying to wipe off the melted ice cream that stained her lips with her jacket sleeve.

millie giggled, "it's....all over your face,"

sadie smiled, "yeah, it's a new look. haven't you heard of kylie's new ice cream lip kit?"

millie let out a soft giggle. but then she bit her lip as sadie reached for the napkins.

she wanted to tell sadie about the doctor's involvement in her death. she wanted sadie to help her find out who killed her. but watching sadie- her best friend who had felt so alone and isolated for days- just laugh for no reason with no repercussions made millie feel warm inside. seeing sadie happy was a rarity these days.

sadie dabbed at her face with a napkin, "what was it you wanted to tell me?"

millie bit her lip, maintaining her smile, "uh....nothing. i just miss you. and food. mostly food,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when they returned to school, millie followed finn around for the rest of the day. sadie understood. he did try to kill himself this morning. she followed him into the bathroom for bathroom breaks (in case he tried anything).

she got bored during most of his classes, especially since sixth and seventh period felt meaningless. but she just sat and watched finn doodle.

until he asked to use the bathroom.

he had used the bathroom twice today. once in the morning, where he nearly downed a bottle of pills, another time to pee. finn seemed weary of the bathroom; almost scared of it. millie wasn't sure why.

so this time, he went into the bathroom.

then he checked under every stall to see if anyone was in there. millie got curious. what could he possibly be doing?