Crossbow Lesson

Chapter 19

Once Daryl finally stopped walking, he began to axe some more people before I said...

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," Daryl said.

"I just wanted to say that I agree with what you said. You're right that we should kill them but, if they want to do it, you've got to let them do it the way they want. It does endanger the camp but, if it were me, I'd want to shoot myself in the head when it was almost over," I explained.

"But it will never be you. I won't let that happen," Daryl said.

"And I won't let it happen to you," I said.

We began to smile each other before I said...

"Do you need help with the bodies?" I asked.

"You can help me axe them," Daryl said.

"Okay," I said before picking up a pickaxe before being to axe the bodies in the head.

After doing this a couple of times, Daryl finally came across Ed, Carol's husband. As he got ready to axe him, Carol finally came over and said...

"I'll do it. He's my husband," Carol said.

Daryl then gave Carol the pickaxe before she began to cry as she hit Ed in the head over and over. Daryl and I saw her pain as she did this before she finally stopped hitting him. Once she did this, I walked over to her before putting my hand on her shoulder and saying...

"Hey, hey, it's okay," I said as I took the pickaxe from her.

I then gave it to Daryl before I began to hold her, comforting her over her husband's death. I heard her continue to cry for a little while before she began  to wipe away her tears, proving her strength. I then slowly began to release her and let her sit over near the fire with Dale. Once she left us, I helped Daryl with the rest of the bodies before all of a sudden, we spotted Amy's body moving. She was coming back as a walker. The noise of the growling and movement began to draw attention from the entire camp. Andrea was still sitting next to her and began to talk to walker Amy, saying her goodbyes before she finally shot Amy in the head.

Once everyone was dead, we all began loading up the truck full of bodies before burying them. I watched several bodies go into the ground and when it finally came to Amy, Andrea did it on her own. Dale helped her a little but mostly, Andrea wanted to do it alone. As I watched the bodies go into the ground, I had Alicia in front of me with Daryl at my side. People began to cry seeing all the bodies buried as we saw the huge loss for the camp.

After all the bodies were buried, I watched Daryl take Alicia into the woods and I followed close behind before I saw him teaching her how to use a crossbow. He told her to aim at a certain part of a tree and like a pro, she got it. She had excellent aim with it. Once she had done it for a while, I began to see before Daryl spotted me and said...

"You wanna learn?" Daryl asked.

"I have my bow," I answered.

"A crossbow's faster," Daryl said.

"Not with my skills," I said.

"Still couldn't hurt to learn," Daryl said.

"Fine," I said before Alicia gave me the crossbow to let me have my turn.

As I got ready to shoot, I lined up my aim before Daryl came up behind me, helping me hold the crossbow. I began to smile as he arms were around me once again before I finally shot the marked spot on the tree.

"Great shot," Daryl said.

"Thanks," I said.

After saying this, this was a moment where Daryl continued to have his arms around me before I finally broke up the moment and handed him the crossbow.

"Thank you for teaching us," I said.

"No problem," Daryl said.

"Alicia, what do you say to Daryl?" I asked her.

"Thank you Daryl," Alicia said.

"You're welcome Ali," Daryl said, using Glenn's nickname for her.

I looked at him strangely as I wondered where he got the nickname for Alicia from.

"Heard Glenn call her that. Thought it was okay," Daryl said.

"It is. Alicia doesn't mind, do you?" I asked.

"No. I like it actually," Alicia said.

"Well then, Ali it is," Daryl said.

"Alicia, while you are here with us. There's something I want to tell you," I said.

"It's okay mum, I already know," Alicia said.

"Know what?" I asked.

"About you and Daryl. I saw you two last night talking by the fire. You seemed happy together. I'm only sad that you guys didn't figure it out sooner," Alicia explained.

"Figure what out?" Daryl asked.

"That you like each other, maybe even love," Alicia answered.

"You're smart kid, you know that?" Daryl asked.

"I know. I get it from my mum," Alicia said.

"Now that's something we can both agree on," Daryl said before smiling at me.

I smiled back before said...

"So, you're sure?, this is something that you're okay with?" I asked.

"Mum, you have been on your own since dad died. It's just been the two of us for my entire life. I'm just glad that you've found someone to love again," Alicia said.

"Thank you baby," I said before hugging her.

I looked up at Daryl for a moment before Alicia let go and pulled Daryl over to join in the group hug. We all had a family hug before we finally let go and walked back to camp...