Beth's Attempt At Suicide

Chapter 50

Once I had came to my decision about being a Greene, I went and asked Alicia about her thoughts on it and she loved having a new last name. I then went around and told everyone else and they all agreed on my new last name, including Helen. So now the last name 'Jones', was nowhere to be found. I was a Greene and so was Alicia. Hershel and Maggie were over the moon about me officially being apart of the family and now, they were more than three Greene's on the farm.

After telling everyone this, Beth finally broke from her coma. She was still quiet as ever but she was moving and that was the important thing. I kept an eye on her for a long while but eventually, Maggie and Lori told me to take a break and so I listened and began to take a ride with my horse, Blackthorne, that had made her way back with Nelly after I was shot. After taking a long ride, I suddenly saw Andrea running towards me and I instantly stopped my horse.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's Beth. It's not good," Andrea said.

Hearing this, I immediately dashed off with Blackthorne to the stables before putting her away. Once this was done, I began sprinting towards the house and saw that Lori and Andrea were in the kitchen.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"Upstairs, but Skye-" Lori said before I ran up the stairs, where I saw Maggie and Beth arguing.

"What the hell happened?" I asked.

"Beth was thinking about suicide. She grabbed a knife that Lori gave her for lunch and kept it with her after Lori took her lunch," Maggie said.

"Why the hell would you do that?" I yelled.

"I thought it would have been easier! We're all gonna die anyway, better it be by my hand than be eaten alive!" Beth yelled back.

"How selfish can you be?" Maggie yelled.

"It's not selfish, it's my choice!" Beth yelled.

This continued for a while before we finally calmed down and began to talk in much quieter voices...

"Mum would be ashamed to learn she raised such a coward. What about dad, Beth?" Maggie asked.

"He's clueless, he had us waiting for a cure," Beth said.

"He knows he was wrong," Maggie said.

"When has dad ever admitted he was wrong? He's just telling Rick's group what they want to hear," Beth said.

"And Jimmy?" I asked.

"We went out for three months and now I'm married to him?" Beth questioned.

"And me and Skye? You could do that to us? We can't take another funeral," Maggie said.

"You can't avoid it. What are we waiting for? We should all do it," Beth said.

"What?" I questioned.

"At the same time. Help each other," Beth said.

"No," Maggie said.

"It's hard to do it, no one wants to but we could do it so easy, it's our choice and then it would be over," Beth said.

"Stop talking like that Beth," I said.

"It would be easier that way, Skye. Or we'd be forced to do it when the farm and this house is overrun. No one can protect us," Beth said.

"That's not true," Maggie said.

"Who?, Glenn? I heard what happened. Rick will save his family, the others too. We're alone. You two, me, Patricia, dad and Jimmy are the only ones against the whole world of those things. I don't want to be gutted. I wanna go... in this bed, tonight. With you two beside me. Please," Beth pleaded.