Family Reunited

Chapter 9

Moments after asking my brother about my sister, my face changed from a tearful smile to a worried frown. I was so worried about Caroline that I could hardly contain myself.

"She's missing?" I questioned.

"Yeah. We were in the woods, running from walkers and then we get surrounded. So I tell her to run and to meet me at the church while I fought them off but, when I finally got there, she was gone. I searched the church all over but she wasn't there. I don't know what happened. I don't know where she is, but I know that we're going to find her. Maggie's been helping me look," Jason said.

"Maggie's here?" I questioned, deeply relieved that she was okay.

"Yeah. They're not all here. Not everybody made it but, the ones that are here, they're safe," Jason said.

All of a sudden, I remembered Carl. I had spent too long talking to my brother, that I hadn't checked on how Carl was doing.

"We need to get to the house now," I said.

"Why?" Jason questioned.

"Rick's son, Carl has been shot," I said.

"Oh my god, is he okay?" Jason asked.

"I guess we'll just have to see," I answered.

We then began running. Running all the way to the house, where Rick sat down on the steps with Shane and Otis. He looked terrible and I could tell he was struggling. I finally bucked up the courage to talk to him, knowing that his answer could be something bad.

"Carl? How is he doing?" I asked.

"I don't know. They told me to wait outside while they help him," Rick answered.

"I'm sorry Rick," I said.

"Is that Jason?" Shane questioned as he looked behind me and saw my brother.

"Good to see you too Shane," Jason said.

"And Caroline?" Shane questioned.

"She's missing, but we're gonna find her. Just like Sophia," I said.

"So you came here on your own?" Shane asked.

"Yeah he did," I answered for Jason.

"No I didn't. I didn't Skye. I came here with mum and dad," Jason said.

Hearing this, I froze. I didn't know what to say. They were dead. They were supposed to be dead.

"You mean Gavin's alive?" I questioned.

"Yeah he is. So is mum, she's inside with everybody else while dad is over by the barn," Jason said.

Just then, I felt a flash of red. It filled me up inside as I scrunched up my knuckles, making the perfect shape for me to punch someone. I continued to feel this overwhelming anger fire inside me as I began to hear Shane, Rick and Jason call my name. They kept asking if I was okay but I blocked out the sound of their voices and only heard the sound of my heart beating. It kept go faster and faster, the longer I stood there before I finally said...

"Look after Alicia for a minute, Jason," I said to him before running off to the barn.

As I ran I heard the sound of footsteps running after me and turning my head, I saw that it was Shane and Rick. They had obviously seen my anger and knew what I was planning on doing but I was faster at running than them so I managed to outrun them. I continued to do this all the way to the barn where I saw Gavin walking away with a wheelbarrow. However, as he saw me running towards him, he instantly dropped the wheelbarrow down and stood there frozen. I instantly knocked him down onto the ground before I stood there with my rifle in hand, ready to shoot him. The fear in his eyes was something that I hadn't seen before and I began to wonder whether this was real fear or pretend fear. Despite all this, I continued to point my rifle at him.

"Skye?" Gavin questioned, in shock to see me there.

"Yeah it's me Gavin. You remember me, don't you? After everything you did, I bet you didn't think you'd ever see me again. You probably thought I might have committed suicide. Perhaps slitting my wrists? Overdose? Or just drink myself to death like my father did. Bet you thought that, huh? Well I didn't. I survived. Do you want to know why that this? It's because I'm a survivor. That is why I'm going to survive this apocalypse... but you won't," I said as I got ready to fire.

"Please Skye, I'm sorry. Everything I did was a mistake. I know that now. I know how much pain I've put you through," Gavin said.

"You don't know shit about my pain. You don't care, you never have, and now, I plan on getting rid of you for good," I said as I put my finger on the trigger.

However, all of a sudden, I heard Rick say...

"Put the gun down. If you fire, you will bring every walker around here. Where Carl currently is, trying to survive a gunshot wound. Please. For the sake of him and all of us, I ask you to put the gun down," Rick pleaded.

"He ruined my life Rick. He took everything from me. He has to die," I said.

"I know he hurt you. I may not know what happened but I know he did. I know you want revenge and that's fair to want it, but we don't kill the living. Just- just put the gun down," Rick said.

"Your life isn't over. You still have a family. You still have us," Shane said.

I continued to look at Gavin with anger in my eyes before he said...

"Please Skye, I've changed," Gavin pleaded.

"Yeah, and so have I," I said before nearly firing.

"Put the gun down Skyler!" a familiar voice yelled from behind.

I instantly turned around and saw a face I hadn't seen in eighteen years. She looked the same somehow, the only different thing was her age. She was older and that was obvious but she still had her black hair and blue crystal eyes, which both Jason and I had. We both looked like her but Caroline didn't. The only thing that Caroline had the same was her blue crystal eyes.

I then watched as she stepped forward before I took a deep breath and said...

"Helen?" I questioned.

"Hello Skyler," my mum said.

I then stood there in shock to see her alive, not knowing what to say...