A Walker Near Camp

Chapter 8

The next morning I awoke with Alicia and went out of the tent before getting breakfast. After we ate, Alicia began to play with the other kids while I sat down on one of the logs, watching Alicia having fun before Glenn came over and sat with me.

"Hey," Glenn said.

"Hey," I said before looking over at Alicia again.

"So what happened to Jason and Caroline then? I mean, I know you lied to Ali. Did you even get a message?, are they alive?" Glenn questioned.

"I don't know what happened to them. After the world went to hell, I went home to rescue them. To take them here with Alicia and I. But, when I came home they were gone. There was blood everywhere, smashed windows and everything was out of place. I don't know if they're dead and I don't know if they're alive but from the looks of things, it doesn't seem likely that they survived. I haven't told Alicia this because I want her to have hope. She barely has any family as it is. I just want her to have something to hold onto. I've told her that I've been searching for them and that's the reason why we stayed in the city for so long but that's not the truth. The truth is, I did search for them. I did for a while but after some time, the only thing I found was walkers. It was clear that I wasn't going to find them but I kept telling Alicia to have hope. She needed that. So while she had hope, I began trying to search for a cure. A way to stop the world from ending, a way to survive," I explained.

"Did you find a cure?" Glenn asked.

"Do you really think that I would be here if I had?" I asked.

"I guess not," Glenn said.

"I haven't given up on a cure but for now, I need to keep Alicia safe. Which means staying here, away from the walkers," I said.

"This does seem to be a safe place to stay," Glenn said.

"Yeah, it does. I sang to her last night," I said.

"Don't tell me, it was Deep In The Meadow, wasn't it?" Glenn asked.

"Yeah. She loves that song. After Mitch used to sing her it when I was pregnant, we knew she loved it. She would always fall asleep peacefully after hearing it. She's just like him," I said.

"She's a lot like you as well. That strength, that fight, that's all you. You gave that to her," Glenn said.

"Thank you," I said.

Just then, Shane drove in with water for the camp before Glenn and I got up to go collect some.

"Water's here y'all," Shane said.

Shane then got out of the car while the rest of us began to collect the water. As we did this, all of a sudden, we heard a scream.

"Carl?" Lori called as we all began running through the woods with weapons to see why he was screaming.

"Dad! Mum! Mummy! Help!" Carl yelled.

"Carl! Baby! Mummy!" Lori yelled.

"Mummy!" Carl yelled before Lori finally reached him and gave him a hug.

"Nothing bit you?, nothing scratched you?" Lori asked.

"No," Carl answered.

"Okay, you're alright," Lori said.

As she was comforting him, the guys and I continued to run to see the walker Carl was scared of. Walking in, we instantly saw a walker chomping on a deer but after seeing us, the walker stood up to see us before the guys began beating the walker. I stood there watching as they began to knock the walker to the ground before I said...

"Uh guys, that won't kill it," I said.

"You wanna bet?" Shane asked.

They then continued to do this for a while, ignoring me completely before Dale chopped his head off.

"You see?, it worked," Shane said.

Just then, the head began to move before I shot it dead with my bow and arrow. Once it was dead, I walked over and pulled the arrow out before looking at the guys and saying...

"Next time, listen to me," I said.

After saying this, we all began to look at the walker before Dale said...

"This is the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain," Dale said.

"Well they're running out of food in the city, that's what," Jim said.

All of a sudden, we began to hear rustling in the woods, causing us to get our weapons ready for the threat we could be facing. However, after several tense moments, we finally saw that it was Daryl.

"Oh jesus," Shane said, as we began to lower his weapon.

"Son-of-a-bitch. That's my deer," Daryl said as he began to walk out of the woods.

Once he got out of the woods, Daryl began to walk towards the deer before saying...

"Oh look at it, all gnawed on by this... filthy, disease-bearing, motherless, poxy bastard," Daryl said as he kicked the walker.

"Calm down son, that's not helping," Dale said, causing Daryl to stop kicking the walker and walk over to him.

"What do you know about it old man?You take that stupid hat and you go back to on golden pond," Daryl said.

Daryl then turned back to the deer and sighed before saying...

"Been tracking this deer for miles. Was gonna bring this back to camp, cook us up some venison," Daryl said as he pulled out his arrows that he originally shot at the deer before the walker ate it.

Once he had done this, Daryl began to look at the deer before saying...

"What do you think?, do you think we can cut around this chewed up part right here?" Daryl asked.

"I would not risk that," Shane said, causing Daryl to sigh again.

"That's a damn shame. We'll I got some dinner and quite a lot of it so that will have to do," Daryl said.

He then began to walk off back to camp with the food with us behind him, dreading the moment where we would tell him about his brother...