Taking Care Of Carl

Chapter 30

"What are you doing here Helen?" I asked.

It had been exactly a few minutes of seeing my mother and I instantly wanted her gone. She was nothing to me and that was the way it was going to stay no matter what.

"Still not gonna call me mum?" Helen asked.

"You've never been one. That title is for someone who deserves it," I said.

Helen stood there in complete shock, saying absolutely nothing to my comment. I knew it hurt her but I didn't care. No matter what, my mother would always choose Gavin over me. Every single time. She didn't deserve my kindness. Finally I broke the silence.

"Go and help him then," I said, referring to Gavin.

Helen hesitated.

"Gone on. Go help your poor husband. Choose him over the daughter that you haven't seen in eighteen years. You must to be used to it by now," I said.

Helen finally started walking before helping Gavin up and then taking him back inside the house. She glanced at me one last time before finally following him in. Once they were gone, I began to lower my rifle before putting it back in my bag. After doing this, I finally turned back to Rick and Shane and said...

"Come on. Let's go check on Carl," I said.

The boys then nodded before we headed back to the house and Shane said...

"So, how did you know where the barn was so quickly?" Shane asked.

"This is my home. Well, at least one of the homes I lived in," I said.

"This your family?" Rick asked.

"Yeah. These people I've known since I was a child and after a few years of staying here, Hershel adopted me as his own. He made me apart of the family," I answered.

"Can they help Carl?" Rick asked.

"Yes. I've seen them do this before and I can tell you that Hershel is good at what he does," I said.

After reaching the house, we finally entered with Otis, Jason and Alicia. Heading in, I began to see the house that I used to visit all the time. Every part of it smelled like family. I missed the bright colours, the big family and the countryside feeling. We then continued to walk along, until we headed into a guest room where Carl laid with the rest of the family crowding him.

"Skye?" Maggie questioned as she saw me.

"Yeah, it's me," I said.

Maggie then rushed into my arms before Beth did the same thing. They were so happy to see me just like I was so happy to see them. After a moment of hugging, Hershel hugged me for a moment before we drew our attention back to Carl.

"You know his blood type?" Hershel asked Rick.

"A positive, same as mine," Rick answered.

"That's fortunate, don't wonder far, I'm going to need you. What happened?" Hershel asked Otis.

"I was tracking a buck. Bullet went through it. Went clean through," Otis answered.

"The deer slowed the bullet down, which certainly saved his life. But it did not go through clean. It broke up into pieces, if I can get the bullet fragments out. I count six," Hershel said.

"I never saw him. Not until he was on the ground," Otis told his wife, Patricia, someone I had met before.

However, although I met Patricia before, I had never met Otis until this day.