Chapter 8 - St. Catherine High School

Candelaria, Quezon

As soon as his meeting with his Dad and their prospective clients end, Benji immediately drove his way to Quezon to start Sunshine's training. This is not his usual scenario with his clients. Technically, after his company and the client sealed the agreement, Benji's team immediately takes over the overseeing of the company he bought. That is what his business does. After he makes the company prosperous under his team's management, he sells the shares on a higher price.

To his surprise, he passed by San Pablo where traffic is lighter than the usual. It seems that the universe is on his side now, he was able to reach Candelaria, Quezon in less than three hours. As he saw the signage of his high school alma mater, many memories have come into his mind. Most of those are about Sinagtala Obispo, someone he truly adores since grade school. He decided to stopover St. Catherine High School, the school was already closed but he saw the same caretaker

"Mang Ernesto" Benji called. The old man was all smiles when he saw one of his favorite students

"Benji? Benji Rosales?" Mang Ernesto surprisedly asked

"Ako nga po, kamusta po" Benji asked

"Dyaskeng bata ka, lalo kang pumogi. Bakit ngayon ka lang nadalaw dito sa Candelaria?" Mang Ernesto excitedly asked

"Madalas naman na po akong napapasyal dito sa Candelaria, pero lagi pong saglit lang kaya hindi na ako nakakadaan dito" Benji replied

"Kayo ba ay may reunion ngayon? Nakita ko kasi si Jorge at Sinag kanina lang" Mang Ernesto asked.

"Wala po may kailangan lang po kaming gawin ni Sinag sa tindahan nila" Benji replied

"Aba at nagkikita pa rin pala kayo. Bigla ko tuloy naalala nung nagalit sa yo si Sinag, mabuti naman at nagkaayos na pala kayo" Mang Ernesto said.

"Pwede po bang pumasok Mang Ernesto? Gusto ko pong makita ulit yung loob ng school" Benji asked the old man

"Aba syempre naman, sige iho pasok lang at itutuloy ko na ang paglilinis ko" Mang Ernesto said

Benji walks inside the school premises after thanking the old man. It's been seven years since he last stepped foot in this ground. He has too many memories in every different spots. As he walks on the hallway, he recalls that we fastly runs on this hallway because before he was often late than not. He then smiles as he passed by his favorite bench where he usually sits to wait for Sinag after classes and only leaves the school premises as soon as he sees Mang Teddy Obispo arrives to pick up his precious Sinag. He was doing that since their first year in high school.

The Chem Lab also brought back a lot of memories. Chemistry was his favorite subject in his third year in High School. Reciting the periodic table is just like reciting the English alphabet for him. He too recalls in third year that he was supposed to be paired with Sinagtala Obispo for an inter-school competition in Chemistry category but destiny was not on his side when his teacher pulls out Sinag to compete for the English category instead on the same competition. It could have been his opportunity to be friends with her.

After a few step he reaches the library, he recalls more memories in this place which he could not help but smile. This was where he often stays during lunch break as well as after their classes because he knows that Sinagtala Obispo's favorite place to stay was in the library. He shook his head while remembering how high he stacked different books of the library just to have even a glimpse of her from afar and he was too careful that she would not notice him.

He stopped then looks at the schoolground where the stage is. On that the same stage, seven years ago, his Dad, Gabriel Rosales proudly pinned him the medal of his Salutatorian Honors. Also, on that the same stage, Sinagtala mostly performed her declamation piece where she oftentimes wins. He smiles remembering his efforts not to miss any of her declamation contests. He could not understand why he was very fascinated to her everytime she performs on stage. Maybe that is the reason why Sinag makes it big in the fashion industry, she may not have noticed it that early but the stage is definitely one of her comfort zones.

He went up to the second floor where their classrooms were located. He and Sinag were not in the same section in high school. Their school did not have a star section to avoid discrimination. The spot that he is currently standing was the same spot when he saw how widely Sinag smiled upon seeing a single stemmed rose with a card on her desk. He remembers the pain of a pinch on his chest that day as he saw how delighted Sinag was while reading the card. Since that day, Sinag's aura changes to a more vibrant and cheerful young lady. That was also the time that Jorge started to hang-out with her and Katrina.

He did not know how it happened but since then too, little by little they started to be acquainted. It begins with a simple smile from Sinag to Benji when they accidentally bump in the corridor. That simple smile was followed by a brief exchanged of hi and hello while eventually leads to an occasional walking together going to school then going home as well.

Indeed, nobody can deny that high school days are the most memorable ones. Excitement, hard work, anxiousness, happiness and heartbreaks are all part of high school life.

He checks on the clock and it is almost six in evening, he has to leave and go to Obispo residence. Just the thought of it, his heart started to race upon thinking that he will have an encounter with SinagTala Obispo again. He has to hurry back to his car, Teddy Obispo might be waiting for him already was in his thought and as he turns around he got surprised to see Sinagtala Obispo infront of him.

"What are you doing here?" Sunshine sternly asked

"Maybe the same reason as why you are here too" Benji bravely said

"What made you so sure that we have the same reason of coming here" Sunshine sarcastically asked

"We both know na wala nang tao dito sa school after five in the afternoon. And this is the best time to come here to reminisce the past" Benji replied

"I am here, because I need to talk to Mang Ernesto, not to recall my stay in this school. There is nothing worth remembering since the last half of my fourth year high school" Sunshine straightly replied.

"Pauwi ka na ba? Isabay na kita. Duon din naman ako papunta sa bahay nyo" Benji asked swaying the topic.

"Thank you for the offer Benji. Dadaan pa ako sa bahay nila Katrina to give her mother some gifts" Sunshine replied

"On our way naman ang bahay nila Katrina papunta sa house nyo, ibaba na lang kita dun" Benji offered again

"I'm fine Benji. Jorge will be here any minute now. I'll just see you later" Sunshine replied then walks towards the place where the school caretaker is

Benji contentedly remains his gaze to Sunshine as she walks far from him "Yeah, I'll see you later Sinagtala Obispo"

****************************
Sure ka bang walang babalikang memories Sinagtala Obispo? At ano yung not worth remembering in the last half of 4th year??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

This update was supposed to be last night but got too busy for a family event that spill over until tonight. Anyway early update today hopefully another one later this evening kung kaya pa ng powers ko 😉😊

Thanks guys for the reads and votes. 😚🤗😚🤗😚🤗