Chapter Twenty-Four

"EVAN PETERS YOU ARE SUSPENDED FOR A MONTH!" The referee screams in Evan's face as he shoves him into his dressing room. Two security guards stand outside of the room.

"DON'T THROW HIM LIKE THAT!" My little voice screams, trying to be threatening. But it doesn't seem to phase the man. 

I turn around and see Evan packing his stuff up. He is still extremely red and looks like he may be getting sick. 

"Evan maybe you should sit down for a minute before you pass out..." I suggest.

"Maybe you should shut up for once Hazel." He snaps. "You act like you're my girlfriend!" I take a step back but he keeps getting closer until I'm up against the lockers. "Well, news flash babe! You're not." His face is an inch away from mine. "You ruined my fucking life, Hazel Renee."

He steps away to finish packing. My heart falls to the ground and shatters. Why did I fall for him? I knew from the beginning that he was always going to be this rude, bad boy and that he wasn't capable of handling a real relationship, but yet I'm still falling for him and I can't stop. No matter how rude and hurtful he is to me. I still want him. 

"Sorry," I mutter. He looks at me confused. I quickly look away and runoff, past the security guards who were waiting to escort Evan out of the building. 

Of course, Evan doesn't follow me. I feel a little letdown but I should've known. After all, he had just said to me, why would he even consider chasing me? That would be stupid. Right?

I have been walking for forty minutes to get back to Uncle Bobby's house. I don't even know where I'm going but I will figure it out. 

As I walk the streets of Georgia, the rain clouds take over and it starts to drizzle. I would usually start to freak out and cry over me getting soaked especially because my hair isn't naturally perfect. But I don't care. I should never care. I should give up caring just like Evan.

A newer 2018 truck pulls up beside me. For a moment I start to think that it was Evan. Never mind that, I was hoping it was him. So I pick up my pace and kind of attempt to get away but also didn't go as fast as I could. 

Shock and a little disappointment take over my feelings when I watch the truck window go down and see Evan's father there. 

"Hazel Kramer? What are you doing out here? It's going to storm!" I look up at the sky then back at him. I don't know what to say. "Where is Evan? Why did he let you out here alone?" Anger starts to take over his voice. Now I see where Evan gets his anger from. It's just his father knows how to control it better than him. 

I don't want to be rude and walk away but it's getting late and I'm tired and hurting and I just want to sleep my life away.

"Where are you going?" Eric asks, realizing I wasn't going to answer that last question. 

"Back to Uncle Bobby's." 

"Hazel, you do realize that you have a three-hour walk until you get back there right?" My jaw drops open. "That answers my question. Get in the truck. I will drive you back to my place for tonight. You can sleep in Evan's room." 

"I really don't want..."

"Get in the truck, Hazel," Eric demands. Yup, that's the attitude Evan has. 

I climb into the truck. This is going to be awkward.

Eric continues to drive. "May I ask you something?" 

I glance at him. "Yes." I accept. Really in my head, I'm screaming no. 

"Why do you stick around with Evan?" I snap my head. "I know he's hurting you. That's just Evan for you. So why do you stick around and not give up on him?"

"I'm not sure. Part of me cares for him and the other part of me hates him. I know that he's your son and I shouldn't be saying that to you, his father, but it's true."

I chuckle, "I don't mind. I use to be him at his age but I matured. I hope he does one day soon but by the looks of it, I don't think he will be doing that anytime soon."

I look outside the truck and watch the rain hit the window. We pull into Eric's driveway. 

"I hope that you know Evan has never brought a girl here. Even if the girl was homeless, he wouldn't bring her here. I was shocked that night he brought you here but I'm glad he did." He doesn't give me a chance to respond. Instead, he gets out of the truck. I follow him trying to not think about what he just said about Evan. I don't want to get my hopes up.

I walk into Evan's room and flashbacks start to flood my mind. Me making out with him... Him giving me a bath... Everything. 

Why did I let myself fall for him...?

_____________

Short but I hope you guys like it!

I binge watched Hart of Dixie on Netflix and I finished it. Now I'm in tears because it's over! Check it out if you have Netflix!!!

Thank you for the support!