Chapter Twenty-Six

A month has gone by and I haven't heard anything from Evan or his family. I try to avoid them as much as I can. I also agreed to go on ONE date with Danny because he wouldn't stop asking. One date can't hurt, right? This doesn't make us a couple right? He won't think I'm his girlfriend or anything right?

I sit at my desk taking a break from creating events for the summer that is about to come to the bookstore. An email comes across my work computer. When I heard my phone go off, a little part of me inside was hoping that it was Evan texting me asking me to meet him somewhere. 

A month later and I still feel like I haven't learned my lesson. When I told him to stay out of my life, I thought he would chase after me. But he didn't. That hurt more than him having sex with Brandie, my used-to-be best friend. 

'You have to be out of the house in 30 days. You haven't cleaned the house in a while and you stopped pleasing my friends now none of them want to hang out!' - Uncle Bobby. 

"Fuck," I mutter. What am I going to do?  I have no place to stay all because I have been busy with work and looking for a second job! Now I'm going to need three jobs! This is terrible. 

"Hazel?" Mandy knocks on my office door. "Are you okay in here? You seem to be upset." I flash her an innocent smile. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. Do you think Rob will give me a pay raise?" I question, hoping that I would get a good answer out of her. 

She frowns, "He just gave you a pay raise. So I don't think he is going to." She walks into my room a little further. "Why do you need another one if you don't mind me asking?" 

"Just need to pay bills." I lie. Actually, I need to start saving up for my own place. Well, actually I have been since I was eight. But I only have about $400 in my savings and that isn't going to get me very far.

I go back to focusing on my work and pretend that Mandy isn't there anymore. After a few minutes of awkward silence, she walks out of the room. Thank god because I don't know how much longer I could keep everything from spilling out. Telling her my problems is the last thing I want to do right now. I don't need other people taking care of my problems when I should be taking care of them myself. 

The book store's bell goes off indicating that someone has just entered the store. I always look out my office window to see who it is. In walks Danny in light brown skinny jeans, black shoes, and a blue plaid shirt. His hair is jelled back and he has a dozen roses in his hands. He doesn't look bad at all. 

Is my shift over already? I don't even feel like I been here for nine hours. I was sure that time was going to go slow this morning when I woke up but I was wrong, like always. 

I gathered my things and walk out of the office and over to Danny. Mandy is in awe and, to be honest, I am too. 

"You look beautiful today." He greets and hands me the roses. I glance over at Brandie who is staring at us with her cell phone in her hands. 

I turn my attention back to Danny, "And you look handsome this evening!" I compliment. He blushes. He holds his arm out and lets my arm lock it. He is such a gentleman. 

When we get out to his car, he opens the car door for me. I never had a man do this for me. This is so nice. 

The car ride to the restaurant is awkward. I'll give him credit for trying to not make it awkward by turning the music on, but neither of us like the type of music each other listens to so that was a bust. 

We take a seat at one of the fanciest restaurants. I was totally not dressed for this. I really don't belong here. People are staring at us and I think it's because we are not dressed up like them. 

"Are you sure you can afford this place?" I whisper to Danny as he reads the menu. 

He smiles and puts his hand on top of mine. "Don't worry about it. My mom has it covered." He winks. Oh great, a mommy's boy.

I sit back and start to read the menu. Everything on here is $45 or more. This is too much! I might just get a cheese sandwich!

"Sir, you can't come in here unless you are ordering something!"  I hear an employee yell. Both Danny and I look towards the door to see what all the commotion was about. Suddenly, Evan appears around the corner. My jaw drops open and my eyes get wide. I slide down my seat, trying to hide before Evan sees me. But I was too late. 

He dashes over to our table and a few employees follow him to try and stop him. But he doesn't. He glares at Danny, who faces has turned a bright red.

"Let's go," Evan demands. 

"Sir..."

"Fuck off douchebag!" He snaps. He is really angry right now. Danny looks at me with worry in his eyes. 

"Hazel lets go! I don't have all night!" 

He goes to grab me by my forearm but I snatch it away before he can. "No, Evan. Can't you see I am on a date right now?" I calmly speak. If I didn't know him any better, I would say he looks hurt in his eyes. But I do know him and Evan  Peters does not get hurt. Ever. 

"Seriously?" He starts laughing. Nobody else does. "You're on a date with this loser?" He continues to laugh but then quickly stops when he realizes nobody is laughing with him. "Not happening. Let's go."

"No." I stand my ground. His face starts to turn red from anger and his eyes start to get dark. He tugs at his hair, trying to figure out what to do next. 

He looks around the room. "You know..." His voice is quiet to where only Danny and I can hear him. "You're the only person I have that I can vent to... and now you won't let me! I have nobody!" His voice cracks. He doesn't give me a chance to respond. He just gets up and leaves the building. 

Danny stares at me. He throws his napkin down and leans back in his chair. "Let me guess, you're going to go after him?" 

I shrug, "I'm sorry. I have to. I'll make it up to you, I promise." I stand up and grab my purse, chasing after Evan Peters like I always do.

________________________

Songs:

1. No Love - August Alsina Ft. Nicki Minaj

2. Lonely - Demi Lovato Ft. LiL Wayne

3. I'll Be Your Crying Shoulder - Edwin McCain

4. Jealous - Nick Jonas 

5. Been Through It All - MGK

Thank you all for the support! The giveaway will be posted this week!