Prologue

A/N
Hey I took this from House of Hades and changed it slightly just FYI

Hazel's POV

Hecate raised her arms and the three gateways began to swirl with mist. Slowly, black and white pictures began to appear amidst the Mist.

In the West gateway, there were Roman and Greek demigods fighting to the death on a hill near a tall pine. The ground was strewn with the dead and wounded. She saw herself riding Arion, trying to stop the violence.

In the East gateway, the Argo II was burning and crashing into the mountains, with large boulders in it, until it finally exploded and let off a huge mushroom cloud.

The North gateway was by far the worst. Hazel saw a limp Leo falling from the sky, a badly injured Frank, Percy and Annabeth lay unmoving at the foot of a door, and Hazel was stuck in some luminescent web-like thing.

"Choices," Hecate calmly said. "You stand at the crossroads, Hazel Levesque, and I am the goddess of crossroads. Crossroads are always places of decision."

"Like...like Janus," Hazel remembered. Janus was god of choices, and many Roman demigods would go to his temple, flip a coin, and hope Janus was guiding them. Hazel never understood why you'd let a god make a decision for you, since they never could keep their crap together.

Hecate looked disgusted. "Janus and his doorways. He would have you believe all choices are black and white, yes or no, in or out, good or bad, right or wrong. It's not quite that simple though. At a crossroads, there are always three ways to go, four if you count backwards. You are at such a crossing."

Hazel looked at the swirling doorways. "All of these choices are bad."

"All choices have risks, but what is your goal?"

"My goal? None of these," Hazel said, waving to the doorways.

"You could go backwards, back to Rome. But Gaea is expecting that, and has her forces there. None of you would survive."

Not a good plan, Hazel thought.

"Or you could go west; back to America with your prize, the Athena Parthenos. The Greeks and Romans are at the brink of war. You might be able to stop them."

"Might," Hazel repeated. "But Gaea is supposed to wake up in Greece, where all the giants are gathering."

"True. Gaea has set the date of her rise to power at August first, the Feast of Spes. By waking on the Day of Hope, she intends to destroy all hope forever. Even if you reached Greece by then, could you stop her? I do not know," Hecate said.

Great, Hazel thought. Not even the goddess of crossroads and magic that has some prophetic abilities can tell us the outcome. Bad plan.

"You could go east," Hecate said, tracing the Misty mountains. "But Gaea will do anything to stop you from crossing Italy. She has raised her mountain gods against you."

"We noticed," Hazel said, thinking about the amount of masts Leo has already replaced on the Argo II.

"Any attempt to cross the mountains will be the destruction of your ship, though, ironically, this might be the safest option. I foresee that all of you would survive the explosion. Despite the odds, there is a possibility you could make it to Epirus and close the Doors of Death. You might find and stop Gaea. But both demigod camps would be destroyed. More likely, you'd be stranded in the mountains. The war would have to be won or lost without you."

Hazel didn't know what to do. One part of her wanted to curl up alone and be a normal girl, not a resurrected demigod from the 1940's. She turned and looked at the sprawled Percy and Annabeth. "What about Percy and Annabeth?"

"West, east, or south, they die," Hecate said while shrugging.

"Not an option," Hazel said.

"Then you have one path, and I warn you it is the most dangerous," Hecate replied.

Tracing the Mist like it was a map, Hecate told Hazel the last option. "There is a secret pass to the north that'll take you to Bologna, and then to Venice. There, sail the Adriatic to you goal: Epirus."

"That's so far out of our way," Hazel said. It was two, three, maybe even four or five times the mileage of the most direct route.

"Which is why Gaea would never expect it," Hecate answered. "I can obscure your journey somewhat, but the rest will be dependent on you. You must learn how to control the Mist, Hazel Levesque."

Before Hazel could ask Hecate how the heck she could control the Mist, Hecate added, "Your mother had the talent. You have even more. As a daughter of Pluto raised from the dead, you understand the veil between worlds better than most. You can control the Mist. When you reach the House of Hades, you will meet a formidable enemy. She cannot be vanquished by sword or bow, and only you can slay her. But you will need magic."

Hecate began to give Hazel more directions about what to do in Bologna, to practice using the Mist, that Gale the polecat will check up on her occasionally, etc. Hazel was still shocked that, y'know, she was going to have to learn magic of all things. That was crazy!

"Um, okay," Hazel said, still shocked.

"Oh, and you will get some help from some people, and maybe help them out," Hecate added quickly.

"Wait, who? Who are we helping? Who's helping us?" Hazel asked.

"You'll see. It'll be...interesting...yes, definitely interesting," said Hecate with a small smile. As Hecate left, Hazel was left wondering what the heck was going to happen.