+45+

the group planned to sit there all evening - until visiting times ended at 10pm. however, that wasn't the case. as they were all playing paranoia, ryan's heart monitor started beeping very fast, the complete opposite to the systematic pace it had been going for the last three and a half hours. mel stopped whispering to spencer mid-question, and the room went silent. and i'm not joking when i say this, but you could literally hear a pin drop. twenty-five or so heads spun round to face the bed that ryan was lying in. no one did anything. they just stared. they all knew that they needed to do something, but they weren't sure what.

billie joe was the only one that seemed to be functioning somewhat properly. if he was being honest, he was worried about the fact that no nurses had turned up yet. the monitor had been going frantically for approximately thirty seconds by now, and there wasn't even the sound of someone coming down the corridor. the office was only a few meters away - they should definitely have been here by now. billie joe pulled the string by awsten's bed that signalled that he wanted/needed something. then, he swiftly walked outside, and headed towards the nurses' office. good, there were people finally walking out. slowly.

"can you please hurry up? i don't know if you noticed, but ryan's heart monitor has been going frantic for a minute or so now! i'm pretty sure you guys should be doing something. he's been in a coma for a while, and there's been no signs of movement, but now there is!" billie was about to carry on ranting, but was stopped short when one of the nurses muttered something about them not getting to the signal, because they were with another patient. but nonetheless, they hurried up a little, and got into the hospital room soon enough. 

as billie approached the ward, he saw all of the teenagers filing out of the room, some of them biting their nails. it was 9pm now, and billie was wondering if he should get them to all go home. on the other hand, though, he felt as if they would refuse to leave - at least until they knew that ryan was okay. instead, he settled for the second best option. he told the group of teenagers that they needed to tell their parents that they were most likely going to get home later than expected, because of ryan. he then told them that he was going down to reception to ring ryan's parents - as he was unsure if the hospital would, considering what happened with the nurses - and that they all should come and sit down there too. 

however, josh, tyler, frank, frank, ray, gee, mikey, and eva said - reluctantly - that they would go home, because their parents didn't want them to hear bad news, and end up crying in the hospital - they would rather them be at home if they needed a someone to cry on. brendon decided to stay in the room with awsten, geoff, otto, jawn, and travis, after they took ryan out of the room to have a look at him. pete, halsey, mel, patrick, spencer, and jon decided to do the same. the remaining few went into the waiting room area with billie.

"honestly, i don't know you that well, but i sure as hell know how you're feeling." geoff said, sitting on the seat next to brendon. "when awsten's monitor did that, i was so scared that something bad was gonna happen. i stayed here, in this room, for around about an hour before i heard anything. however, that wait was worth it, because awsten was okay. he'd woken up. a sudden increase in heart rate usually means that they've realised that they're in a coma. awsten was trying to get out of it. that's what the doctors told me. i'm sure ryan will be fine, it's just a little bit more waiting time." geoff attempted to comfort brendon. it did a little bit, and brendon was grateful for that, so he just gave geoff a small hug. 

"thanks, really. that helped a little. but i think i'm going to go and get some more hot chocolate. does anyone want anything while i'm down there?" brendon asked. he didn't want to be asleep when/if ryan woke up. awsten shook his head, and pointed towards the glass of water beside his bed. otto and jawn asked for a coffee, and geoff and travis didn't want anything. brendon nodded, made a mental note of it, and went downstairs to get them. halfway down the stairs, brendon realised that he hadn't asked if otto and jawn wanted milk and/or sugar. brendon sighed, and just decided that he'd get a packet of sugar, and a small cup of milk - if they wanted to have any in their drinks.