Chapter 5

The morning after, Lilith woke with a start, sweat dripping off her chin and onto the thin sheets covering her. She was panting heavily, her fists squeezing the sheets. Despite the cold flowing through the room, she was boiling hot, her cheeks flushed and her pillow soaked with sweat.

Taking a deep breath, Lilith closed her eyes, allowing calm to slowly surge through her adrenaline filled veins.

It was just a dream...just a dream... She told herself, taking in another slow, deep breath as she allowed herself to fall back onto the sheets.

It wasn't a lie, it was a dream, but it seemed so real. Perhaps it was because what she'd seen in her dream was what she seen only hours before, when she was alone in the dark forest. Those golden eyes haunted her, creating a scar forever imprinted in the back of her eyelids.

After collecting herself for a few long, very much needed moments, she slowly sat up, rubbing her temples with her index fingers in attempt to make the pain subside. It worked for a moment there, but only a moment.

Giving up, Lilith finally decided to throw her legs over the edge of the bed, stretching them out as the sounds of popping bones and joints filled the air.

Today was the first day after finding out what she really was, and she had no idea how to go about it. She couldn't go back to school, she knew that for sure. And she had no idea where she was on the map, so she couldn't go out and make a living right at this moment.

So what was she supposed to do?

Just as she thought this, she heard the voices of her parents nearing the cabin door, which oddly relaxed her aching muscles. When they entered, their voices grew quiet at the sight of Lilith being awake, and her parents smiled warmly at her.

"Did you sleep well, angel?" Her father asked, walking up to her with a small bag she hadn't realized he was carrying up until now. And from the sweet smell filling her senses, she instantly knew the contents of the bag.

Nodding, Lilith smiled softly and held her hands out for the bag, which her father placed in her hands with a soft chuckle.

Just as she suspected; Donuts.

A soft and happy sigh slipped past her lips as she immediately took a bite of the gooey, sweet dough. The taste of chocolate glaze filled her taste buds, creating a delightfully warm feeling as it slid down her slightly sore throat with ease.

"Today is going to be a long day, Lilith. Now that you have the mark, you can't go back to your normal life." Her mother said as she sat beside her on the bed. Lilith raised a brow as she glanced over at her mother, urging her to continue considering she already came to terms with the fact that she wasn't going back to her old, 'normal', life.

"We have to go to the camp, where other elves are. There you will train and find out your abilities, and once you get to a certain point, you'll do missions and quests as well." Her father stated, looking down at Lilith who was in the middle of chewing the last piece of her donut while reaching in the bag to grab another one. Licking her lips, she looked up at her father, confusion written on her face.

"Missions? Quests? Like what?" She asked, millions of questions clouding her mind at that moment. Her father simply smiled and rested a strong hand on her shoulder.

"Questions will be answered once we arrive. But for now, all you need to worry about is enjoying those donuts and getting yourself prepared for a long, on-foot, trip to the camp." Lilith pierced her lips for a moment as she stared up at her father, not wanting to wait for questions to be answered. After a moment, she finally gave in, heaving a soft sigh as she nodded and took a bite of her second, fluffy and warm donut.