Chapter 39

Lilith was almost one hundred percent sure that she had blacked out for a half a second as every ounce of air left her lungs at the same time. Her ears rung, her brain literally rattling around in her skull, and her eyes were too blurry to make out any sort of shape.

"Lilith!" She heard faintly, but the ringing in her ears was so overpowering that she couldn't even react to it.

"Lilith!" They called once more, causing Lilith to groan softly as she attempted to blink away the blurriness clouding her vision.

I need to get up. She thought, trying to find any sort of strength to get herself off of the ground. Before she could even move a muscle, a hand was suddenly enclosed around her throat, pulling her up with ease as her legs dangled off the ground. That's when she felt the blood trickling from her head down the side of her face, as well as out of her mouth and ears.

"You walked right into it, little Fae. You think it would be that easy? I've been 10 steps ahead of you this entire time, sweetheart. You've never had the advantage." The Beast growled, but Lilith couldn't even bring herself to say anything back, her head was reeling and her entire body felt like it was on fire. But she couldn't give up now, she had to push. The Beasts hand squeezed her throat tighter, and she could distantly hear strangled cries from her mother as Lilith's eyes began to droop.

"So weak." The Beast spat darkly.

Help...I need to protect them... She pleaded inwardly, hoping Inari could hear her as she watched with horror between the dark spots in her vision as her mother was thrown to the ground, a knife against her throat as her father struggled against a few buff rogue elves.

"Please..." She pleaded once more, but out loud as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

I thought you'd never ask. In a flash, Lilith felt her dark Fae coming out, but instead of it pushing her back into darkness, she was conscious through it all as she watched the Beasts eyes widen. She'd never felt this much power before, it was as if it were healing her more and more by the second.

Without wasting another second, Lilith growled loudly, reaching one hand out to grasp the Beasts throat tightly while her other hand moved to the one he was using to strangle her, digging her claws deep into his skin. The Beast yelled out in pain, instantly letting go and Lilith took that moment to draw her leg up and land a solid, powerful kick to his chest, sending him flying into the side of the school building and causing the bricks to crack and fall on top of him. Growling louder, she moved towards her mother in a flash, placing her hands on each of the elves throats while her tails moved to grab the throats of the elves holding her father down.

"No one lays a hand on my family and gets away with it." She said in a dark, menacing tone as she squeezed the elves throats hard enough to knock them unconscious. Then, she threw them against building as well, not particularly caring about the amount of damage she was doing to the school.

"Lilith-" Her mother started with wide eyes, but Lilith cut her off with a soft smile as she helped her up.

"I'm still here, it's still me. Where's everyone else?" Lilith questioned as she glanced at the Beast, who was struggling to get out of the rubble.

"They're holding off Dallas. Are you okay?" Her father said as he immediately moved to stand in front of her, his finger running across the blood that had poured down her face moments before. Lilith nodded firmly, giving her dad a reassuring smile.

"I'm fine, for now we need to get these kids as far away from here as possible. Who knows what could happen next." Lilith said as her father nodded, looking at her mother before moving towards the group of terrified humans as he instructed they move deeper into the forest. Ash and Olive protected them as they all stood up and quickly moved further away from the scene.