Chapter 31

They'd left for camp bright and early the next morning, and the trip was excruciatingly silent. No conversations were held during the entire trip, and they only stopped one or two times to let the horses and Ash rest and to retrieve food and water. During the trip, Lilith couldn't help but fall victim to the voices in her head. She was so lost in thought she'd lost track of time, and before she knew it, they were at the gates of her camp. It was pretty late, past curfew to be exact, so when they arrived the only people to greet them were the warrior elves doing patrols and the camp chiefs. Lilith didn't stop to say hi, she instead continued on through the camp, moving towards her cabin as her body grew more and more tired.

Once she finally arrived, she threw Ash a piece of raw steak and allowed her other two familiars to roam as she settled into her cabin once more. She didn't know what to do with herself at that moment, her heart ached in her chest and her body felt empty, she had no will to even go to her room and get changed into something more comfortable than her travel gear.

Lilith wasn't sure how long she stood in her living room until she snapped out of her thoughts when a quiet knock was heard at her door. She jumped slightly and blinked, clearing her throat as she took a deep breath and moved to her door, opening it slowly.

"I just came to see if you got home okay.." Luke said, softly and cautiously as he stared at her with worry. Lilith smiled softly at him and nodded slowly, her nails quietly scratching at the door frame.

"Yeah, I'm just settling in.." She said in a soft, quiet voice as she gently cleared her throat. Luke nodded, and the air around them grew quiet for a second until he opened his mouth to say something else.

"Are..you okay being alone tonight? I don't mind staying here." He offered, smiling reassuringly at her. Lilith sighed and shook her head, looking down at her feet for a second as she swallowed down a lump forming in her throat, the offer reminding her of none other than Dallas himself.

"No...I think I'd rather be alone tonight...but thank you, Luke, it means a lot that you care." She finally said as she cleared her throat and looked up at him once more, her tears beginning to brim at the corners of her eyes. Luke seemed to notice this, considering the emotion in his face grew even more sadder as he bit his lip and nodded slowly. Sighing, he offered her a small, sad smile as he took a step back from her door.

"Don't thank me for caring, Lilith, I will always care. Sleep well, I will be here in the morning to check on you, so don't be surprised when you see me on your doorstep." He said as he attempted a playful wink towards her, but she didn't have the heart to laugh or even smile as she nodded, her white locks falling against her face as she tried to cover the tears pooling at her eyes.

"Good night, Luke..." She finally managed as she turned around and closed the door, locking it. The moment she heard the click of the lock, she finally let herself fall apart. Her tears broke free, streaming down her milky pale cheeks as she slowly slid down to the floor, leaning against the door. Her sobs grew from quiet and sad to loud and heartbreaking, her eyes clenching shut as she attempted to stop the tears that just seemed to flow endlessly.

She was like that for a long while, sobbing off and on as she let the pain from her chest be released through her cries. In the midst of her break down, her familiars joined her, Ash pressed his nose against her cheek while Olive and Venom rested their faces against her neck(more like Olive pressed her nose against her neck and Venom just sat on her neck), as if the closeness of them would make her feel better. And somehow, it did. After a while she just sat there, hiccups escaping her lips every now and again as she leaned her head against the door and embraced her familiars for a while.

A while turned into dawn, and Lilith found herself falling asleep on the floor, laying against Ash while Olive and Venom laid on her.

___________________________________