Chapter 99

With the joining of two families belonging to high society, Stephanie and Colin's wedding was huge.  It was almost no longer a wedding, but has become a major event that everyone who was anyone wanted to attend.  When I found out who their wedding planner was, I fan-girled a little bit from seeing him on TV and falling in love with his visionary talents of making weddings seem as though they were dream-like fairy lands.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider I might not only be attending one of David Tutera's visionary weddings, but I really never thought I'd be included in one.  Stepping into the Plaza Hotel, it was all I could do to contain myself, and to refrain from sneaking a peek of the reception area.

"This way to your dressing room, ladies" the coordinator for the hotel told us, leading us down through the hall.  Stephanie had eight bridesmaids in total, including her maid of honor, but they were all poised and proper society ladies, aside from me.  I felt really out of place, which only helped to strengthen my friendship with Odette; although none of the other girls could understand how she and I are able to get along so well.  And Emma was bouncing around in excitement, it took a tag team effort between Odette and me to keep her calm enough for Stephanie's nerves. Steph also had a 'Lady in Waiting' appointed by David himself, to be on call for anything that Stephanie might need while the rest of us are getting ready.

When we arrived to the dressing room – which was bigger than my entire apartment! – we were ushered inside; there was complimentary champagne and sparkling cider sitting on ice and there were plenty of hors d'oeuvres to keep Stephanie nourished, despite her lack of appetite from her customary pre-wedding jitters.

**                                **                                **

I had just finished getting my hair and makeup done when I heard my text tone.  I picked up my glass and made my way over to my pile of belongings.  Just a heads up, you might want to take Em for a walk, I think Stephanie's mad at her maid of honor, and she could snap any minute - Odette

I looked up and she nodded to me in confirmation, so I nodded in reply.  I walked over to Steph and touched her arm gently.  "Hey, I'm going to take Emma for a walk to get some energy out of her before we get dressed.  Do you need me for anything first?" I asked her.

She smiled and shook her head.  "No, but thank you, Rory" she said, seemingly grateful that I was one of the few not causing any drama.  "Oh wait!  Yes!  If you happen to see Colin, could you please tell him I can't wait to be Mrs. Stephanie McCrea!  I may be nervous, but I can't imagine anyone else I would rather marry" she said happily and I smiled warmly.

"You bet.  We'll make a special trip to deliver the message" I told her with a wink.  I re-tied the closure on my silky robe she had personalized for me with 'Reporter Girl' printed on the back – she had our nicknames put on each of ours.  I couldn't help but love it when I saw it.  "You ready, Em?" I asked, turning to my daughter and holding my hand out for hers.  She had a robe of her own, in hot pink, and it said 'Little Love' on the back, which she absolutely adored, because she loves anything having to do with her Uncle Finn.

"Where are we going, Mommy?" she asked me.  I couldn't get over how adorably grown up she looked in her makeup and updo.

"We're just taking a little break, and going for a walk.  We're going to go see Uncle Colin before he marries Aunt Stephanie" I told her and she smiled because she realized we were the only ones getting the chance to see the guys before the wedding.

"Will Daddy and Uncle Finn be there, too?" she asked happily.

"Of course they will, Silly!  Come on, let's hurry!" I said, leading her out the door and walking down the long corridor, and down another.  They really pulled out all the stops to make sure the bride and groom were nowhere near each other for an accidental sneak peek.  We finally found their dressing room, and we knocked on the door.