21

Once arriving at the Beacon Hills Preserve, Veronica opened the passenger's side door and got out of Derek's car. She opened Malia's door, letting her out as Derek got out of the car also, "Their Alpha is a woman named Satomi," Derek began to explain to them as the three of them began walking together, "She's one of the oldest werewolves alive. And she's learned a lot."

"What does that mean?" Malia asked confused.

Derek turned to look over at Malia, "She's a bittern werewolf," He informed her, "Learning control wasn't easy for her. She did something a long time ago that changed her. The quote is a mantra. It helps them with control."

Both Malia and Veronica suddenly stopped in their tracks as they began to look around at their surroundings, "What is it?" Derek asked, a concerned look on his face.

Veronica stayed quiet as she waited for Malia to speak up, letting her give the information instead of herself, "Gunpowder." Malia spoke up, looking a bit concerned.

Veronica looked down to notice a bullet casing on the ground. She lightly hit Derek's arm with the back of her hand to get his attention. Derek turned to her and immediately noticed her staring at something on the ground. Noticing the bullet casing, Derek knelt next to it and picked it up. He held it in his hand and examined it for a moment before looking up, "If Brett's pack is out here, I don't think they're meeting," Derek told the two teenagers.

"They're hiding." Veronica finished Derek's sentence as she came to a realization of what was actually going on.

__________

After finding nothing in the woods, Veronica, Derek, and Malia made their way back to the car. Derek and Veronica sat in the front seat while Malia sat in the middle of the back seat, leaning forward so she could still talk to them, "I'm sorry," Malia told Derek apologetically.

Derek shook his head, not looking both girls in the eyes. Instead, he stared directly in front of him, "There's nothing to be sorry about," He replied to her apology, "If they don't want to be found, then we're not going to find them. Some werewolves have an ability. A kind of mastery over their bodies where they can actually inhibit their scent." Derek explained as he glanced over at Veronica.

"And I happen to be one of those werewolves to have that ability." She spoke up and Malia turned to her, clearly confused about the concept.

"They can hide from werewolves?" Malia questioned, sounding a bit annoyed about it also.

Derek nodded, "From anyone who's trying to find them." He replied in a calm tone.

Malia slowly began to understand it all and spoke up, "So that's why nobody knew about Brett except for Veronica." She stated and Veronica nodded her head in response. Malia turned her head to look at Veronica, "How did you even know that he was a werewolf in the first place anyway?"

Veronica gave Malia an obvious look, "I didn't need to have his scent to know he was a werewolf. I could tell by the way he did things." She explained, "Actually, while on the topic of werewolves inhibiting their scent, we can't forget about that other werewolf from Satomi's pack. Demarco, was it?"

"His name was Demarco." Derek agreed with her before the three of them became silent, still thinking about how they were supposed to find Satomi's pack.

"Maybe we need to try something different to find Satomi's pack," Malia told both Derek and Veronica, causing the two werewolves to turn to look at Malia, "Maybe we need to think like Stiles." She suggested.

Derek seemed confused by this suggestion while Veronica somewhat understood where she was coming from, "Like a hyperactive spaz?" Derek questioned as he gave Malia a puzzled look.