Chapter 16

"Sierra, you ready?" Kayla asks me, getting up to leave the room.

"Where are we going?" I ask her as I stand up too.

"Just follow me." She tells me as she walks out of the room.

I follow her down the long hallway before she stops at a door.

She struggles to open one of the large metal doors.

Once she has the door open, I can see what awaits me inside.

Upon looking into the room, I turn around.

I cannot go in there.

I can't.

Unfortunately, one of the many workers here stops me and forces me inside.

Round tables are scattered throughout the room, people sit at them filling most of the spots, trays of food sit in front of them.

This isn't happening.

"Come on, Sierra." Kayla says before dragging me to a table.

Within seconds of us sitting down, trays are placed in front of us.

"Sierra, I'm Jamie, I am going to sit with you for your first few meals, okay?" The lady who placed my tray in front of me says as she takes the seat on opposite side than Kayla.

I stare at the plate in front of me.

A large piece of chicken sits in the center of the plate. Did no one bother to tell them I don't eat meat? I never have.

A carton of milk sits in the top right corner.

A large cookie sits opposite the milk.

Mashed potatoes and a side of salad sit on the plate as well.

About a year ago I decided to eat completely vegan.

Animal products are fattening and I don't think eating them is ethical.

Did anyone even ask my mom about my dietary restrictions?

I take the bowl of salad off the tray and push everything off to the side far away from me.

"Sierra, you need to eat more than that if you want to leave this table today." She tells me after noticing that I only plan on consuming this.

"I am not eating food an animal died for." I fire back, slightly thankful that this salad is the only thing that fits my diet.

"Sierra, I don't think an animal died for anything except the chicken." She tells me, obviously knowing nothing about the topic at all.

"I can assure you that you are wrong. I can assure you that animals die for milk." I say to her, how does she not know this?

"I will be right back." She tells me before getting up.

"Are you seriously vegan?" Kayla asks me when Jamie gets up.

I shrug, "The food is less fattening, and I am saving animals lives." I tell her.

She just goes back to eating her chicken.

When Jamie returns with more food I have yet to even touch my salad.

She places a new try in front of me, this one containing a pint of cashew milk ice cream, a bottle of almond milk, french fries, and a bag of apple slices.

"There, all vegan." Jamie tells me as she sits down.

As I stare at the food Kayla continues to eat.