22: I could be Making Sense

Dawn 22

Minho thinks I am sleeping. He shuffles out of bed, the fabric ruffling across my back. I barely slept last night. By barely, I mean not at all. It's not the Ben thing. The Ben thing doesn't suck quite so much anymore, unless I think about it.

"You're amazing," he mumbles clumsily.

I smile, unable to help that happiness that erupts from within me. "You're better."

He collapses down on the bed. His weight causes the mattress to squeak. I sink towards him.

"Get lost," I mutter, rolling away from him.

He pulls me back in, and I laugh, trying to playfully shove him off me. Minho only holds me tighter. "I can't leave."

"You're going to be late," I giggle, taking my pillow and shoving it into his face.

He rolls off me, falling onto his back. Dropping the white pillow on the ground, he stares up at the ceiling. As if he expects to see stars. There is nothing but a wooden building.

I love the Homestead. It has been hard to accept, but I do. The Glade is my home. I care deeply for everyone, and they do for me. We are a team, one who won't abandon each other. That's what I hope anyway. It's what I saw after the Gathering. Winston even apologised for going so harshly on me.

This is a sort of coalition.

Although, I feel a bit abandoned anyway. Leo has been off lately.

"Any big plans for the day?" He asks, looking at me. "Miss me every second that I'm gone?"

I laugh out loud, sitting up. My hair falls over my shoulder, and I look at him out of the bottom corner of my eyes. "I was actually planning on screwing Thomas, as a thank you for saving Alby's life."

Those aren't my plans. Maybe I will thank Thomas, but first I have to find Leo. I need to figure out what happened to her the night Minho almost died.

"Alby's?" He questions, leaning in closer to me. "What about my shuck life?"

"It can shuck itself," I pull myself out of the bed, braiding my hair behind my head. I still feel queasy, and if there is one thing I've learned from the last few days, its that I should always have my hair up.

He places a kiss on my neck, before moving towards the door. "I will be back two hours before the Doors close. Just for you."

I smile at him as he runs out the door. Maybe I'm not entirely comfortable with him going back out there so soon, but I've got to sit on this and pretend I am anyway. Life's got to go on.

It's why I'm choosing to ignore the memory of Ben.

I walk out of the room, at least ready to pretend I am ready to start the day. Fry is going to want me in the kitchen, but he won't give me klunk for being late. Boys are generally nice enough with me when I want to not follow the rules. Rules are jokes anyway.

Hopefully Leo will be upstairs somewhere. In the Med-room probably, taking care of that unconscious girl. She called it in early last night, so I don't know why she wouldn't be up now.

The door is open when I walk in, but Leo isn't there. Neither is Ella, even though she normally sleeps in here. The unconscious girl is the only one here. She lies down against the bed, her hair sprawled around her head in a sweaty mess. She hasn't woken up yet, and I think I'd be surprised if she did.