30: I could be Begging

Dawn 30

Through the chaos, through Leo and Newt barking orders, through boys running around, grabbing as many supplies as they can, I look for Minho.

I'm still feeling sick so I wasn't allowed in the Kitchen. Fry doesn't want me touching any of the food. He just wants me in the Homestead. I can't be though, not while all my friends are doing their jobs as Keepers.

Dave, Fry, Leo, Minho, Newt, and the others are out here, making sure everyone is safe. I've done my part. Now I don't know what to do except follow through the crowd and try to find Minho in this panic of people.

Is a group of people called a panic? It should be.

Minho moves over to me, so I guess all his Runners must be inside. He grabs me by the wrist, pulling me through the open door. We move into the Homestead, struggling to pass through the bodies streaming in and out and he puts me down on the ground.

"Stay put," he pleads, looking at me.

I cross my arms, straightening my back so that I'm closer to him in height. I try to face him. "I'm not a child. I can help."

"Help by staying out of this," he tells me, his lips straight and still. He closes his eyes, breathing in and out once. Immediately, his eyes soften. "I can't be worrying about you. Not right now. Please Dawn."

"Then don't worry," I argue, but he won't budge.

"Let's not worry about anything then. Let's just let the Grievers waltz in here. Maybe we can all play a friendly game of tag." His voice is drenched in sarcasm.

I roll my eyes. "You're being ridiculous."

"Well, I am what I eat, and you're definitely ridiculous." He can't help but smirk.

Evwn though I want to be angry, I can't. "Fine."

He smiles, leaving to keep doing whatever it is everyone else is doing.

I can't just stand around and do nothing. Winding my way out of his room, I watch as the Builders attempt to board up the windows. There aren't enough planks to cover them all, and I doubt there are even enough nails. None of the supplies came up, so we are probably screwed.

Leo stands off in the corner, watching them work. From here I can see her biting the inside of her cheek anxiously. Occasionally, she glances out of the corner of her eye, around the room. I wonder what she is thinking. Eventually, she spots me. Her feet practically glide across the floor over to me.

"Where's Michelle?" She demands, sending me a glance. "We can't find her anywhere."

"Try the Bloodhouses?" I ask.

She nods. "And the Deadheads. And everywhere else she could be."

"I'll find her," I tell her. I've got nothing better to do.

"Wait," she grabs my arm, moving in closer. She takes the watch off her wrist, wrapping it around mine. "Newt gave this to me a few minutes ago, so don't lose it or break it. Be back here in fifteen minutes."

I nod, straightening the plastic on my wrist. Newt really loves her, and it's a shame she doesn't love him back. The watch tricks on my wrist. I don't know what takes over me, but I pull her into a hug before running out the door.

There aren't many people outside. Everyone is taking shelter behind the safe walls of the Homestead. The sky is grey and weighing down on me. It's giving me the willies. I just need to get Michelle and go.

I scan the Walls, looking for the ginger. She isn't one to climb the Walls, and they have apparently checked for her everywhere. When I don't see her, I switch my attention to the Doors, staring out. Would she have run after Gally? Could she have?