51: I could be rain

Michelle 51

The bus roars in, stopping at a halt. The doors screech open and I can hear the rain smashing into the ground below, soaking through. It puddles, even on dirt. Overflowing. I don't move in my seat for a second. I close my eyes, leaning against the cool seat. It's made out a material I don't recognize, that is a sort of rubber and a sort of fake leather. This whole ride I've been unable to find the ground beneath me, slipping on this weird material.

People are getting off around me, chattering, but I can only hear the patter of the rain on the pavement. I don't know where we are going.

"Get up," Teresa kicks my shoe, jolting me out of my daze.

I look over to see her. She eyes me precariously, waiting for my next move. We are the only two left on the bus.

"What's it to you?" I demand, crossing my arms over my chest.

She rolls her eyes, before moving forward. Her sneakers squeak as she steps off the bus.

I roll my eyes back at her, getting up and following the crowd. The rain immediately soaks my clothes, which were mostly dry. It runs into my clothing, turning the fabric into a paste that hangs on my body. The rest of the group stands outside, waiting. Perhaps for me, or perhaps they are just letting themselves freeze. I don't know the last time I felt rain on my skin. I don't know the last time I felt this cold.

It's kind of nice.

Gally is alive. He's able to feel again, but he's not here. I should've dragged him behind me. How could I lose him again, and so easily? Why would I let someone else slip through my fingers?

It won't happen again.

I shove past Thomas to the front of the group as we walk towards the building ahead of us. He stumbles as I hit him, and I don't bother to look and see if he hits the ground. If he does, I'd be sure to find out later. Everything is interdependent.

Clint struggles to carry Ella, falling further and further behind. I don't help him, even though I want to. My body has forgotten how to move, and my fingers are numb from the cold.

Then, the rain stops beating against my skull as I enter the building. We wind up the stairs and enter a room. A figure in front of me, smiling, tries to talk to me. Though her face is kind, we couldn't possibly have anything in common. I barrel past her, stalking off into the facility.

We enter a common room, with a couch, or something, and frilly shucking curtains on the windows. Sure, just paint over the klunk that hides outside and we'll forget about it. Honestly, I can tell I'm already going to hate these shanks already.

I stand in the main room, waiting. One of the workers brings in pizza boxes, setting them down on the table in the center. He brings in cups too, and boys start to move and grab pizza. I don't know how they can bring themselves to eat.

So, I stand back, and wait, watching them gorge their mouths out, and wondering what Dave would think if he was here. If he would like real cheese, or maybe he was lactose intolerant. Maybe Gally would stand with me and complain.

Then, dinner is over.

"Boys in this room," a woman calls, ushering us up the stairs. "Girls in the next."

Teresa seems to move without asking, as she is pulled away from the group. I watch Dawn's face drop though.

"We can't just leave them," she speaks, looking at the woman.