I could be a different person

Ella 52

Eli. Eli, Eli, Eli. The word is the same as another word. Emily.

"Emmy," she's behind me. She has long blonde hair, and soft eyes, and a smile that reaches my centre. I can see her face again.

It's ripping me apart. I can only scream, but my vision is filled with purple. I wonder if they have left me for dead. It's worth it, to die, if it means I can know the truth. If I can see her, that is all I want.

"What's the plan?" The one girl asks, from across the table. "The plan Em, what's the plan?"

I have to ask Eli, he is the one who suggested it to me. I get the feeling he just didn't want to go up.

There were four more. Four who live somewhere else.

"I'll ask Eli," I offer.

The second girl rolls her eyes, before chiming it. "It's always Eli this, Eli that. You think he knows more than I do?"

Eli. I remember Eli. I don't want to, because the thought makes my back shake and crumble. Eli was once with me. We once stood in the same room.

"Good luck with him," I whisper, pulling Eli aside. It's the last time I will see Thomas and Eli, for a very long time. I remember knowing this.

"I think they might send us up tomorrow," Eli's voice is in a low whisper, and it cracks. "Either way, I'll see you on the other side."

My skin is cold, but also on fire, and I don't know if anyone is helping me. Eli was me. I was Emily. Leo, Don, Michael, and Eli. They were us. Those were not our names.

"Get in!" My head hurts. I fell on the ground before we got here, knocked myself out, but the third voice doesn't know how to use the gun, and as I shuffle in and out of consciousness, I've got to stab her with the needle.

I search the drawers, looking for ours, but I can't find them. They must be in the other room. A series of subject numbers. I forget our names.

Subject A57, Subject A58, Subject A59.

I am Subject A60. I am the final one.

Loaded gun, back of the neck, shoot into the first voice, then the second, then the third. We will take on their identities. Their faces, their minds. Their names. I am Subject A60.

The gun is on the back of my neck, and I can hear the door jingle. My hand slips, and it pierces my neck as an angle. I remain conscious, enough to reach to the panel and slam my hand down on the button, the gears click into place as I slide into the black room, and we fly up.

My ears riot, splitting open. So, does my head though. Everything I see is blood.

"We're going to have fun," I recognize his smoked face as he speaks. He isn't nodding at me alone. He turns his attention to the bed next to us. "You are going to be the triggers, by the end of this. Don't we agree?"

I can't kick him because my feet are tied up. I will never be that girl. Subject A1 is not my name. I will be lost in a sea of Subject Bs before I take that place. You could refuse to cure me of the disease. I would die a Crank.

"Emily," I turn my head to the side. The other person in the room is staring at me, with soft eyes. He shakes his head back and forth, as if I am the one who is causing an affront upon nature. As if we aren't tied to beds right now.

"My name is not Emily," I tell him. "And yours is not Eli."

~~~~~~

This is the last chapter! I'll be publishing the next book very soon, isn't that exciting?

I'll see you in Sojourner