Chapter Four: The Body

Downstairs, the Wheeler parents were watching the news report of Will's death

Upstairs, Chris still laid in her bed, trying to block out the noise of the television downstairs.

She had no tears left to cry as she laid there, unable to fathom the heartbreak of her best friend's death.

Mike was down in the basement, and Chris knew he was flipping through the old drawings of Will's that he kept.

Chris also knew that Mike was upset with Eleven. She was too, but she realized that El tried her best, and that she couldn't blame Will's death on the girl.

Chris just hoped that Mike would soon realize that as well.

Mike eventually came upstairs and went to bed, but Chris found it nearly impossible to fall asleep, each time she did, it was only for a few minutes.

The next morning, their mom came into their room and sat on Mike's bed.

"I don't think I can go to school today," Mike told her.

Chris pretended to be asleep so she wouldn't have to talk.

"Oh, that's fine, sweetie. I need to drop of Nance, then I'm going to go check in on Barb's parents. Why don't you grab a book or something and you can Chris can come with me? We can stop by the video store on the way back, pick out whatever you want. Even R-rated."

"I think I just want to stay home today. Chris probably does, too. I mean, if that's okay?" he admitted.

Chris could tell he was hiding something, but she didn't know what.

"Well, are you sure you two will be alright here by yourselves?"

"I think so."

"Okay," their mom sighed. "But if you need anything, call dad at work."

She kissed Mike on the forehead then stood up and did the same to Chris before walking out of the room.

The minute the door closed, Mike jumped up and grabbed his walkie talkie.

"Lucas, do you copy?" He spoke. "Lucas, come on, I know you're there. This is urgent. I'm serious. I'm not going to stop until you answer."

Mike then started saying Lucas's name over and over.

"Shut up, asshole," Chris snapped.

Mike rolled his eyes and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

Chris stared up at the ceiling above her, trying to keep her mind off of Will.

However hard she tried, she couldn't think of anything else.

Eventually, Chris's tiredness caught up to her and she fell asleep.

•••

Chris was woken up by three boys – Mike, Lucas, and Dustin – entering her and Mike's room.