Chapter Six: The Monster

When Chris woke up the next morning, Mike wasn't in his bed

She got up and got ready for the day then made her way down to the basement, ignoring her mom trying to talk to her.

She found Mike sitting on the couch with tears in his eyes.

Chris saw that he had messed up El's fort.

She sat down next to him and rested a hand on his shoulder.

He looked up at her.

"He didn't mean it. Lucas was just angry. All those things he said about you were just lies he made up to hurt you."

"No, it's fine. I get it. You guys don't want to hang around a girl. I just wish you guys would have told me sooner so I wouldn't have stuck around so long."

Mike tried to protest, but Dustin walked downstairs before he could.

Chris got up and made her way to the stairs.

"Chris, I just got here. Where are you going?" Dustin asked.

"I'm going to my room. I don't want to bother you guys by sticking around."

"What is she talking about?" Dustin turned to Mike.

"She thinks what Lucas said about her was true. She thinks we're only hanging out with her because she's my sister," Mike explained.

"Chris, that's not true! We love hanging out with you. I know Lucas does too, he was just trying to hurt you yesterday. Please stay here with us?"

Chris rolled her eyes. "Fine."

She sat down on the far end of the couch and crossed her arms, bringing her knees to her chest.

"So still no El?" Dustin changed the subject.

"I just – I can't believe she didn't come back."

"She's gotta be close."

"She said it wasn't safe. She just messed up the compasses because she wanted to protect us. She didn't betray us."

"Mike, calm down," Chris spoke up.

"I shouldn't have yelled at her. I never should have done that."

"You yelled at her?" Chris said at the same time Dustin said, "Mike, this isn't your fault."

"I didn't mean to! And yeah. It's Lucas's fault."

"It wasn't his fault, either."

"It wasn't his fault?" Mike stopped pacing and walked towards Dustin.

If it wasn't Lucas's fault, then maybe he was telling the truth about Chris.

"No."

"So you're saying he wasn't way out of line?"