Chapter Two: The Mall Rats

"something happens when i hold her, she keeps my heart from getting older"

~

Chris woke up early the next morning, head resting on Max's shoulder and the warm summer sun shining on her face. She nuzzled her face into Max's neck, thus waking the girl.

"Morning," Chris whispered, voice still hoarse with sleep.

"Good morning," Max smiled back.

Chris grabbed Max's hand softly and leaned over to kiss the tip of her nose.

Max chuckled at Chris's antics and pressed a quick kiss on her lips, right as Mike walked into the room, seemingly dressed and ready for the day.

"Seriously?" He complained. "Can't you guys find somewhere else to do this shit?"

"What're you talking about? This is my room," Chris argued.

"Uh, correction. This is my room."

"Newsflash, dingus. We share the same room –"

"Hey," Max interrupted. "It's fine. Let's just go downstairs."

Max climbed down the ladder and walked out of the room, Chris following after her and flipping her brother off as she left.

"Dude. You and Lucas both need to learn how to be more mature," Max teased.

Chris rolled her eyes and smiled as she led her girlfriend down to the basement.

They both plopped down on the couch, and Chris turned so that her head was in Max's lap and her feet were propped up on the armrest.

They stayed in the position, Max playing with Chris's hair for a while, talking about whatever thought came to mind. They were only interrupted when, yet again, Mike barged into the room.

"Oh my god. It's like everywhere I go; you guys are there!" He protested.

"Seriously, dude. What the hell is your problem?" Chris yelled back, getting up to face him.

"Hey," Max put a hand on Chris's shoulder. "Let's not do this right now, yeah? Come on. We can go to my place. I can keep reaching you how to skateboard?" Max bribed.

Chris thought about Max teaching her to skate. She thought about the way Max held her hands and how the contact made it feel like fireworks were going off in her stomach.

"Okay," she calmed down and smiled at the redhead. "Let's go."

The two ran upstairs to get ready for the day, then made their way back to the front door, hearing Mrs. Wheeler yelling to Mike about a phone call as they walked out.

Max and Chris spent about an hour skateboarding, and Chris had yet to fall, setting a new record for the girl when she saw El walk up out of the corner of her eye.